Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Auger siezed on Craftsman 10hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Busky

Auger siezed on Craftsman 10hp
Original Message   Dec 31, 2007 9:11 am
I have a Sears 10/29 snowblower that is about 12 years old.  I was clearing a path in the back yard and got the dog's tie out (1/8 ' steel cable ) wrapped around auger and stalled the machine.  I was able to remove the cable but auger was jammed.  It actually came out of its supporting bracket on one end and the auger blade was cut into the scraper blade 1/4".   I was able to disassemble the other bracket and straighten it out and reassemble the other end.  When I restarted the machine and engaged the auger it shook violently and I shut it down.  

I think the gearbox is shot but I'm not sure.  I don't know if a repair is worth the money on this machine.  Any thoughts?

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
borat

Re: Auger siezed on Craftsman 10hp
Reply #1   Dec 31, 2007 10:09 am
You'd have to do a cost/benefit analysis on parts & labour vs. a new machine.  I had the same machine that you're talking about.  After twelve years of hard service, I sold it for two hundred bucks and bought a Simplicity 9528.  Depending on the service your machine has seen, it may be nearing the end of it useful life.  You can hang on to it but repairs might start to come more frequently.  If I were in your shoes I'd either dump or part out the old Craftsman.  You might get $50.00 to $75.00 for the engine and maybe $50.00 for the rest of the machine as is.   There's been some pretty good sales lately and now that the Christmas rush is over, you're probably in a better position for a bargain.  Yeah...go for a new machine. 

nibbler

Re: Auger siezed on Craftsman 10hp
Reply #2   Jan 1, 2008 10:08 am
Although it sounds like stuff is out of alignment there could still be something caught inside.  If the auger isn't turning the vibration could be caused by that. If the auger is moving "OK" then its probably something that is out of balance.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42