Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How's your fuel consumption with the B&S snow engine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

How's your fuel consumption with the B&S snow engine
Original Message   Dec 23, 2007 10:07 pm
Just got back in from doing my driveway again.  My neighbour was out doing his driveway using a  two year old 10 h.p. Yardworks (MTD).  The Simplicity was throwing snow a good twenty feet high and 30 to 40 feet distant.   At least twice the height and distance he was throwing.   He stopped his machine and came over to see what I was using.  He'd never heard of Simplicity either.  So he asked the usual questions.  How much? Where to buy it etc.   "Yeah"... He says.  "I think I'll give this (old) Yardworks to my daughter.  She just moved into a house and needs a snow thrower now.    Think I'll take a look at one of those. "  

One thing I have noticed with the so called 9.5 h.p. B&S, it seems to like fuel.  I've run out of gas twice using this machine since I've owned it.   That's about as much as I did in twelve years with the old Tecumseh.  That tells me a couple of things.  Either I'm enjoying it so much and working longer or, the 9.5 might just be an 11 h.p. in disguise and burning fuel accordingly.   I'm going to have to start timing fuel consumption.  Has anyone else out there run out of fuel unexpectedly using these engines?

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Talldog

Re: How's your fuel consumption with the B&S snow engine
Reply #1   Dec 24, 2007 8:50 am
Borat, I have the 305cc or 10.5hp Snow Max OHV on mine. I was thinking that the gas consumption seemed pretty good. My old blowers had 5hp and 8hp engines so I can't make a direct comparison, but it seems like the new 10.5hp uses no more gas than the old 8hp L-head on the Toro 826. I'm really happy with the OHV Briggs.
borat

Reply #2   Dec 24, 2007 10:58 am
Thanks Talldog.

You're probably right.  I don't see any symptoms that would indicate rich fuel.  All signs are good and the engine performs like a champ.  Like I said in my previous message, I'll have to time how long a tank lasts.  That will vary of course depending on idling and engine load due to different snow conditions.  Got to do the back yard today.  Nice and sunny right now.  Crisp and a little cold but no wind.  Perfect conditions. Won't need the cab on the machine today. 

Best of the season to you bud.

borat

Reply #3   Dec 24, 2007 10:58 am
Thanks Talldog.

You're probably right.  I don't see any symptoms that would indicate rich fuel.  All signs are good and the engine performs like a champ.  Like I said in my previous message, I'll have to time how long a tank lasts.  That will vary of course depending on idling and engine load due to different snow conditions.  Got to do the back yard today.  Nice and sunny right now.  Crisp and a little cold but no wind.  Perfect conditions. Won't need the cab on the machine today. 

Talldog

Reply #4   Dec 24, 2007 1:08 pm
borat wrote:
Thanks Talldog.

Thanks, you and your family also.
borat

Reply #5   Dec 24, 2007 1:16 pm
One thing I just found out is that when you think the tank if full, it's not.  I bet I put close to a 3/4 of a liter in it after it got to the bottom of the filler neck.  Looks full but it'll take quite a bit more.   
nibbler

Reply #6   Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am
I noticed the same thing with mine. The filler hole has a tube going down a bit and there is a hole through it toward the front that allows air to escape. You can slowly put a far amount of gas in the top section of the tank but it takes a while. I have a hunch its to stop people from overfilling their tanks.

I've found that fuel consumption varies dramatically with load. If its thin, light fluffy stuff the gas lasts for 8-10 driveways. If its thick heavy stuff then 3-6 driveways. I always try to go fast enough so that the blower is almost snowplowing and the engine is roaring. That should be close to maximum fuel consumption rate with maximum work done.

I tank up at the end of each session and check it when I start a new one, I think a full tank when the machine is not in use is a Good Thing (TM). I generally have to refill 2-3 times before I finish all the driveways I do. That includes sidewalks and EOD clearance when the snowplow finally shows up, normally just as I finish the last driveway or two hours after that and I'm trying to do something else.

BTW - I was clearing a driveway in cottage country at night, with no lights, a couple of weekends ago and noticed that the muffler on the exhaust was glowing a dull red, I knew it got hot but I didn't realize it got that hot.
Moderator Denis

Reply #7   Dec 25, 2007 10:39 am
borat wrote:
One thing I just found out is that when you think the tank if full, it's not.  I bet I put close to a 3/4 of a liter in it after it got to the bottom of the filler neck.  Looks full but it'll take quite a bit more.   

Hi Borat!

Season greetings,

How many inches of snow to you get each year (average) and what is your region (state), I know some region has mountains it also depends

borat

Reply #8   Dec 25, 2007 2:43 pm
Denis wrote:
Hi Borat!

Season greetings,

How many inches of snow to you get each year (average) and what is your region (state), I know some region has mountains it also depends

Hi Denis:

We live in the Lakehead region, northwester Ontario. 

We get on average, 222 cm. (87) inches of snow annually.  Some years we get very little then other years, we'll get hammered.  The winter of 1995 to 1996 was one of the heaviest in recent memory.  It might have even been a record.  If I recall correctly, we got close to ten feet of snow from late December  to the end of January.  That wasn't the end of it either.  We received a lot of snow in February as well.  That was a wild year.   Recently we've not been getting much snow.  Last year, the snowmobile trails didn't open until mid March due to lack of snow.  This year seems more average.  I'd say we've received close to three feet so far but with two days  of rain thrown in there, the snow went down fairly fast.  We just receive maybe four or five inches over the weekend so it's nice and white again. 

Merry Christmas to you and your family bud!!!

Snownut

Reply #9   Dec 31, 2007 1:28 pm
I have a Briggs 8.5 hp Powerbilt OHV snow engine, and its better on fuel than my neighbor's 5.5 hp Tecumseh L-head.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42