Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Thanks to all--I think I did good on snowblower purchase

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sailor77077

Thanks to all--I think I did good on snowblower purchase
Original Message   Jan 19, 2007 4:03 pm
This is my first winter in Minneapolis--Texas originally.  I'm still trying to understand the fascination with the white stuff, but that's another story.  I've been lurking here & reading for ideas/reviews/thoughts on snowblowers.  I looked at all the common ones.  Ariens, MTD, John Deere, Cub, Craftsman, Husky, Husquarvarna, Simplicity,  pretty much the normal group.  Here's what I came away with.  Tell me if I made a good choice and got a good deal (because there's been no snow!)  My drive is 3 cars wide, 3 cars log, paved, and I got buried by the plow on EOD already once.

For price & quality, I kept coming back to the Ariens.  They seem to be built better than many, (ie more frequent welds, Auger had zerks, all steel construction, etc). 

I was tossed between the 7.5HP 7524E with the OHV and the 926LE with the L head.  My wife and I had looked at HD (yeah, well, price does matter unfortunately) and noticed that there was 1 926LE on the floor that the chute control didnt' seem to work right.  This was on a Monday.  Went back on Tuesday to look one more time and the 926 was gone.  Came back on Wednesday to actually purchase a 7524 as they were getting them back in stock, thinking this was all I would need and I liked the OHV.  Price was $799.

The price on the 926LE was $999.  When we returned to the store,  the exact same machine that was there 2 days ago was back with a sign that said $800.66, this machine only.  There was a service tag from an authorized service center on it that read "replaced broken chute cable,  Cable cost $5.23, labor, $23.00.  All other systems checked for tolerances and adjusted as necessary."

I checked the oil & gas,  The machine had never been started, but had obviously just serviced (no gas in tank or gas smell, oil clear, and all zercs ozzing grease).  I call the manager over to get the story.  It was the exact machine that been on the floor 2 days ago, but the chute cable had malfunctioned--it had the same adhesive residue in the same place.  HD's policy is that they cannot make any repairs in house, regardless of complexity, so it was sent out, and returned to be sold as "reconditioned".  The only only drawback was the L-head, but I figured that engine had been around for ever and for the price, I could live with it. 

I also had a 10% HD coupon which they honored and 12mos, no interest, no payments. 

Final Price,  $720.59.  WIth Tax,  out the door for $767.  $30 cheaper than the smaller unit and I got a full 3 yr warranty on it.  I think I came out pretty good.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks from a snow noob

Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DunkVT

Re: Craftsman Snowblower
Reply #7   Dec 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Don't purchase a Craftsman snowblower. Period!  I have owned one for 9 years (largest one they sold at the time).  The problem is this: their belts are NOT standard sizes (isn't that just plain stupid) which means that local repair shops generally do not carry them.  The second reason is that because they are not standard size you must purchase from Sears at a greatly inflated price.  Local repairs shops don't like to stock them because of this. So I've had shops place a belt on that is close in size but does not work for long.  You'll have to lug the machine back for further repairs --- after buying the belt yourself  from Sears. An all around frustrating experience.  Do yourself a favor -- don't buy from Sears. 

This is an example of a company that has it all backwards and as a result is in financial trouble. Rather than accommodating customers and making it easy to repair their products, instead they want you to repair Craftsman products only through their repair shops and only using their parts which are greatly inflated in price.  The result is such an unsatisfactory experience over time it leaves the customer heading for another product once the Crafstman dies or they get rid of it out of frustration. Doesn't sound like sustainable business practice to me. If their stock price and rumors of the company's troubles are true, many customers head for the hills after one experience with Sears.  It's a shame given the need to support American products.
borat

Re: Thanks to all--I think I did good on snowblower purchase
Reply #8   Dec 22, 2007 12:30 pm
I owned a Craftsman for twelve years of hard service.  The machine actually held up well.  I only replaced three sets of skids, one scraper bar and one auger drive belt.   However, I did stay on top of adjustments, lubrication and tightening of bolts etc.  The comments about the parts being excessively expensive are right on.  Any replacement parts that you buy from Sears will be anywhere from three to ten times higher in price than the same part for a comparable brand.  As you can see from my list of parts replaced, if you do regular inspections and stay on top of maintenance you can get by with minimal cash donations to Sears.   
Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42