Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Older John Deere 726 - left wheel and axle assembly slides out

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikev

Older John Deere 726 - left wheel and axle assembly slides out
Original Message   Dec 21, 2007 9:07 pm
I purchased an older John Deere 726. The left wheel and axle assembly slides out and disengages from the drive differential. I have tightened the nut located at the wheel hub but it doesn't help. When I push the wheel and axle back into position it works fine. Anyone know how to lock the axle from sliding out? Does anyone have a service maunal for an older John Deere 726? 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
BillRoberts

Re: Older John Deere 726 - left wheel and axle assembly slides out
Reply #1   Dec 21, 2007 9:13 pm
There is a manual for your snowblower on E-bay at >>>US $7.95 Hope this helps. bill

John Deere 526-726-732 Snow Blower Operator's Manual JD

Item number: 360006769913
mikev

Reply #2   Dec 21, 2007 9:42 pm
Thanks Bill,

I have ordered the manual on Ebay. Hopefully it will help.

If anyone has any ideas before the manual arrives I would appreciate them.

Mike

ajallen

Reply #3   Dec 21, 2007 9:45 pm
There should be a small hole in the smaller shaft that slides through the diff. If you look inside you will find a hole to match on the right side of the diff put a small bolt in it.

AJ

mikev

Reply #4   Dec 21, 2007 10:34 pm
Thanks AJ.

The small shaft doesn't have a small hole through it, but the large shaft (right side) that it slide into does. I would expect that it would be threaded so a set screw coud be used to lock against the small shaft. Perhaps I should tap the hole for a set screw. This however would lock the left and right wheels togther defeating the freewheeling right wheel option.

Mike

borat

Reply #5   Dec 21, 2007 10:44 pm
mikev wrote:
Thanks AJ.

The small shaft doesn't have a small hole through it, but the large shaft (right side) that it slide into does. I would expect that it would be threaded so a set screw coud be used to lock against the small shaft. Perhaps I should tap the hole for a set screw. This however would lock the left and right wheels togther defeating the freewheeling right wheel option.

Mike

Is the small shaft clean and clear of debris in the vicinity where the hole should be?   The hole might be blocked and not visible.   
ajallen

Reply #6   Dec 21, 2007 10:45 pm
Take a very close look at the small shaft it may have been a roll pin. The small shaft should turn in the left shaft if it does not than it is rusted to the left shaft you will need to press it out clean and lube it. It must be fastened to the right shaft it is the only thing that holds it together.

AJ

This message was modified Dec 21, 2007 by ajallen
mikev

Reply #7   Dec 21, 2007 11:22 pm
Thanks very much AJ and Borat,

Your right on. I just cleaned it up and had a closer look. There was a broken shear pin in the hole on the small shaft. The small shaft is also seized to the left side shaft.

I will replace the shear pin. Any thoughts on how to free the small shaft, or should I just leave it.

Again thanks for you experience!

Mike

ajallen

Reply #8   Dec 21, 2007 11:29 pm
You will need to press it out with a hydraulic press. Soak it with penetrating oil first. It won't work if you don't fix it.

AJ

This message was modified Dec 21, 2007 by ajallen
borat

Reply #9   Dec 22, 2007 4:04 pm
You can try to heat the outer tube to help release the inner shaft.  Try to concentrate the heat along the length of the outer tube so that the heat is evenly distributed.  The objective is to get the tube to expand but not the inner shaft.  Keep the torch moving.  Then try to tap the inner shaft out.   
mikev

Reply #10   Dec 24, 2007 8:58 am

I don't have access to a hydraulic press but I did try heating the outside shaft with a plumbers torch..... but to no avail. I think I will just leave the two shafts seized for now and perhaps have a go at it again in the summer. I am afraid I might damage the threads on the shaft.  I also don't know how much I would use this feature as you have to manual tighten/loosen  the assembly. At present the machine isn't very difficult to manoeuvre.

I was also wondering if anyone knows of an retro. kit that can be purchased to add a remote chute angle adjustment? Currently this has to be done manully by loosening a clamp, making the adjustment than tightening it again. This is one feature that would be very nice to have.

Thanks again for your suggestions and have a Merry Christmas.

Mike

Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42