Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity PRO Rocks!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Tubby

Simplicity PRO Rocks!
Original Message   Dec 15, 2007 11:11 pm
Got it to replace an Ariens 8 hp that I bought in '95. (For about the same money)

Although it has (at least) 2 hp over the old one, it acts like it has more than twice the power. And at first I was doubtful of the electric shute control, it sure is handy as hell.
The heated handgrips were actually too hot on high, had to kick them down to low. And the snow got scared.

Anyway, this thing rocks!
Replies: 7 - 16 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DonMac

Re: Simplicity PRO Rocks!
Reply #7   Dec 17, 2007 9:44 am
Tubby,

Congrats! I just bought the same machine. I like the oil drain mod you put on. Where did you get it? Mine also came with a hose.

BTW, on mine, when I use the power chute the headlight dims significantly. I think I'll disconnect the light and see if the chute is even faster.
Talldog

Reply #8   Dec 17, 2007 9:52 am
Donmac, I sent you a PM
Tubby

Reply #9   Dec 17, 2007 9:57 am
I find the light only dims when the chute is at one extreme or the other, when the motor is stalled out.
If it is dimming in the middle of the arc, I would make sure all the connections are tight, especially the ground and source connections.
Since A large percentage of the operation for me is at night, I need the light.
Hell, I would not mind making it a little more  "Homer Simpson" look and putting some LED driving lights on it! They only draw about 3 watts, and put out a surprising amount of light.

Nah, the 'yella one is plenty!
Tubby

Reply #10   Dec 17, 2007 12:45 pm
Now to be a bit more critical:
The chute was froze in place this morning, had to hit it with a heat gun to free it up. Hmmmmm.

Also, where the control cable runs through the little piggy tail thing on the chute, has worn the insulation away completely, I have only run a gallon through it. It is bare for about 1- 1.5".
jubol

Reply #11   Dec 17, 2007 1:32 pm
Tall dog,

Nice Mod!!!

However, on your oil drain, take off the nipple and screw in a hose barb.

When changing you oil, slip a piece of vinyl tubing that fits the hose barb, then  drain it into a container.

Tubing is flexible!! Makes it easy to drain into a container!!  IMHO

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Moderator Denis

Reply #12   Dec 17, 2007 2:10 pm
jubol wrote:
Tall dog,

Nice Mod!!!

When changing you oil, slip a piece of vinyl tubing that fits the hose barb, then  drain it into a container.

Fred

Yeah! Fred I agree, I think I'm going to install a kit like that when oil change very easy too. Send us a pic Fred!

jubol

Reply #13   Dec 17, 2007 2:15 pm
Dennis,

You might want to look at a product call Drainzit    ! !

Just Google for it!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Talldog

Reply #14   Dec 17, 2007 3:36 pm
Tubby wrote:
Now to be a bit more critical:
The chute was froze in place this morning, had to hit it with a heat gun to free it up. Hmmmmm.

Also, where the control cable runs through the little piggy tail thing on the chute, has worn the insulation away completely, I have only run a gallon through it. It is bare for about 1- 1.5".

Tubby, haven't had the chute freeze up yet. Thanks for the heads up on the cable, I'm going to spray wd-40 on it so hopefully it will slide instead of binding.

Talldog

Reply #15   Dec 17, 2007 3:47 pm
jubol wrote:
Tall dog,

Nice Mod!!!

Fred

Fred,  it might be a little hard to see in the pictures, but I've got a 45 degree elbow coming out of the ball valve so that the brass hose nipple sticks out away from the machine and down at an angle. All I have to do to change oil is put the spout from the container over the nipple and open the valve. There is no need for an extra piece of tubing. As long as I change the oil when it's hot, it drains out really quick.

If anyone does this mod, note the light duty spring I installed to make sure the valve doesn't vibrate open. Just drill a small hole in the valve handle and attach the other end of the spring to an anchor hole on the machine. Probably didn't really need it, but it provides peace of mind.

Moderator Denis

Reply #16   Dec 17, 2007 10:53 pm
jubol wrote:
Dennis,

You might want to look at a product call Drainzit    ! !

Just Google for it!

Fred

Fred found the hose at Nextag for $13.90 I think I'm going to order it.

Replies: 7 - 16 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42