Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Engine Quality

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
narendra10

Tecumseh Engine Quality
Original Message   Nov 11, 2006 9:15 am
I am about to buy Sears Craftman 5.5HP, 2 stage, Snow Thrower with, Electric Start, 24" wide, 21" high clearing path (Mfr. Model #31AS6BCE799, Sears Item #07188355000).

It has a Tecumseh Engine. I looked in Tecumseh Web site which shows 5.5HP engine in Premium Line (Standard Line shows only 5.0HP Engine).

Also I read the discussion about "Tecumseh vs Briggs and Stratton Engine" which indicates me that Tecumseh Engines has lots of problems, not good support from manufacturer, does not last, uses oil soon (I had a Ford Taurus and Mercury Marquis both were using oil after 50000 miles with other problems as well, which made me cross mark Ford, while the GM cars, Honda cars I owned never used single drop of oil even after above 100000 miles, which I think indicates the quality of material and design of engines).

After the reading I researched the other brand snow throwers namely: Troy Bilt, White Outdoor, MTD, Sears Craftman, Toro, Ariens, Husqvarna, Poulan Pro and 6 or more other brand name all uses Tecumseh Snow King Engines. So I think I do not have much choices. And I do not like to spend lots of money for it also.

Did Briggs and Stratton stop making engines for Snow Thrower ? (I have seen Sears Craftman 6.5HP Snow Thrower with B & S Engine).

Can you tell me the average life of  Tecumseh Engine for Snow Thrower without problem ? Does the above problems arise due to lake of proper maintenance like oil chage ?

I am kind of hesitating buying the Snow Thrower with Tecumseh Engine.

Thanks for your advise.

Replies: 6 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Macart

Re: Tecumseh Engine Quality
Reply #6   Dec 16, 2007 11:08 pm
narendra10 wrote:

But I DONOT usually check oil in-between oil changes assuming it should be OK unless engine burns oils or leaking somewhere.

For a knowledge point, let me  ask, do you think manufacturer ever looks at these kind of discussion and review websites and learn lesson from it ? If they do, they can know the flows in their products and improve the quality of them.

Maybe they ought to check the "FLOWS" in their Customers. I own a Craftsman II with an 8hp 27"path Snowthrower with Electric Start. People laugh and make fun because my Snowthrower gets washed and waxed every spring and before the first snowfall, it gets lubed, belts adjusted, new plug and fuel (WHETHER IT NEEDS IT OR NOT!!!!) I've been accused of wasting money as a spark plug will last 5-6 years given the amount of use they get per season. My response, "So what!!" It cost's me $12-$15 a season to get my machine ready for the whole winter and if you can't afford that once a year, maybe you shouldn't own a Snowthrower.

Not checking your oil, assuming it is ok is plain and simply RETARDED!!!! You should check your oil EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU GO TO START IT!!!

Sincerely, my Snowthrower looks exactly like the day I bought it and I have NEVER had a problem with it. Incidentally, it just turned 12 years old!

Thanks for reading people!!!

Mac 

Macart

Reply #7   Dec 16, 2007 11:11 pm
A Tecumseh engine will last a lifetime, however, there is a catch, YOU HAVE TO TAKE GOOD CARE OF THEM!!!!!!

Mac

borat

Reply #8   Dec 16, 2007 11:57 pm
I had a 1993 or 94 Craftsman 10 h.p. Tec engine.  I did frequent oil checks for the first couple of seasons of operation.  Once I had determined that it did not use or lose oil, I'd check it every couple of weeks.  My old L head never had oil issues.  I bought a new Simplicity and sold the Craftsman a couple months ago even though it started first pull and still ran great.  Original spark plug by the way.  Twelve years old.  One oil change a year was pretty much it other than grease /lube and replacement of wear parts (skids, scraper bar and auger belt).
This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by borat
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #9   Dec 17, 2007 4:42 pm
Hi Guys!

Narendra- You take care of it and it will take care of you!!!!  Read your manual,change your oil at regular intervals use fuel stabilizer religiously. I am of the school of thought that if you close the fuel shut off after each use and let the engine run the carburetor dry you won't have any trouble with the carburetor either.As far as oil use is concerned I own several 30 year old Tecumseh powered outdoor power equiptment units of various types and have never had an issue with oil consumption.

Spend a few dollars and put an hour meter on the engine and change the oil once a season/25 hours and  engine longevity won't be an issue regardless of what brand engine you use.

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
borat

Reply #10   Dec 17, 2007 5:11 pm
mml4 wrote:
Hi Guys!

Narendra- You take care of it and it will take care of you!!!!  Read your manual,change your oil at regular intervals use fuel stabilizer religiously. I am of the school of thought that if you close the fuel shut off after each use and let the engine run the carburetor dry you won't have any trouble with the carburetor either.As far as oil use is concerned I own several 30 year old Tecumseh powered outdoor power equiptment units of various types and have never had an issue with oil consumption.

Spend a few dollars and put an hour meter on the engine and change the oil once a season/25 hours and  engine longevity won't be an issue regardless of what brand engine you use.

Marc 

Good advice Marc. 

I do the carb drain as well but usually at the end of the season so that the machine doesn't sit with fuel in the carb for several months. 

niper99

Reply #11   Dec 17, 2007 5:21 pm
yup pretty good advice marc

l only drian my carb out at the end of season as well, its not really nesserary every use in my opinion.

Replies: 6 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42