Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Denny

Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire
Original Message   Dec 12, 2007 8:14 pm
I turned the key on and have no spark from the plug or even the plug wire when turning over the engine

How do I know if it is the coil magneto or the xstar module magneto?

It is a model 38180

Replies: 58 - 67 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
niper99

Re: Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire
Reply #58   Jan 29, 2012 3:37 pm
trouts2 wrote:

Holding the plug against the block is not a great or reliable test.  It’s OK for a go no go indication of spark.  The machine is vibrating and holding the plug at a consistent distance too hard. 

You have spark. It’s intermittent on two coils which you have tested without sparkplug wires and both test OK.  You replaced the sparkplug wire on both and get the same results, an intermittent spark by I think holding the plug to the engine.  If that’s the case I would not consider the spark to be intermittent yet.

I would hook up a spark tester, run the electric start and if it was intermittent then I would consider spark to be intermittent.  I would grab the wire, tester and end connections to feel for a tingle indicating a leak. 

BTW: Briggs has a spark tester that pretty good for about $15.  It’s flimsy, has electrodes enclosed in a window so you can put a black cloth in back and see the spark very well.  A cheaper alternative is two types of testers available from Harbor Freight from $1.50 - $4.00 depending on their being on sale and they usually are.  They have a post end which fits into the plug wire boot and the other a boot for the plug.  There’s an enclosed light of some sort inside a plastic case which is pretty bright when it gets triggered.  If you ran the electric start with one of these types of testers and got intermittent then it would be reliable.

BUT,,,, it would not tell you the cause.   One intermittent coil is rare, two is a stretch to believe that both are bad so I would be thinking the cause someplace else. 

You’ve sanded and cleaned all grounds and connections.  Put on dielectric grease and later cleaned that off.  So the guess is those are all OK.

The magnets are suspect.  Briggs has the criteria of the magnets being able to hold a #10 flat head screwdriver to a magnet.  Another test is to just pass a screwdriver by the magnets and if the screwdriver deflects the magnets are considered good.  I don’t have a lot of experience with flywheel magnets but the usual problems are they loose polarity or the glue gives and they fall off.  The machine ran before and gets intermittent spark so I would not suspect the magnets unless you have dropped the flywheel from a significant height or touched your coil wires to a magnet when it was firing.  Those things probably did not happens so chances are very good the magnets are ok.

What could be wrong at this point?

The pieces:

You have suspected but unproven intermittent spark. 

The coil bodies are ok.

The magnets are ok.

The installed wires are still not making good contact causing the intermittent.  Hard to believe.  You’ve gone through 4 plug wires on two coils with the same results.  So it’s probably not a bad connect at the coil body or the plug hood.   The plug wires are OK.

The on/off switch is not in play so not a factor.

The old and new ignition modules give the same results.  They are probably both OK.

Left, is the fit of the gap.  At least for me it’s a hassle to get a gap right.  It takes me a long time and a lot of fussing around to get right, but it’s usually go no go never intermittent.

I don’t think you have reinstalled either coil for a while.  Clean the magnets and coil legs and get the gap perfect.  I would get a Harbor Freight tester, install everything and see what you get.     

If it were me and I had that machine and getting the same results you have been getting I would think that I had missed something and not seeing the obvious.  Continuing to work on problems like this usually don’t pan out so I put them aside and wait sometimes a month or two and start from scratch because what I did before was unreliable.

very good advice trouts!!!

maybe its a fuel issuse??

borat

Reply #59   Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm
"maybe its a fuel issuse??"

Now that would be a Homer Simpson moment wouldn't it?   If it's a fuel issue, that can be established easily enough.  Pour some gasoline into the spark plug hole, put the plug back, wire on and give it a tug.  If it fires and runs for a couple seconds, it's a fuel issue.
RedOctobyr

Reply #60   Jan 29, 2012 5:57 pm
Yeah, use mixed gas, like borat said. When I was initially troubleshooting my SS with a plugged carb, I was using starting fluid and carb cleaner. Neither was a good idea, since they don't provide lubrication (even worse, the carb cleaner tries to flush off any residual oil). What I should have been using was mixed gas, either poured in, or I've considered putting some in a spray bottle. The risk I see with a spray bottle would be getting gas mist airborne. One spark and you could potentially have it go BANG in your face. I did change to using mixed gas poured into the carb, but I should have used that right from the start

Given everything you've been through with the ignition, I kind of hope for your sake that it *is* a fuel issue, so you can get this resolved. Personally, unless you can get a flywheel fairly cheaply, I don't know that I would go as far as you have, chasing the problem. I admire your persistence, good luck!
trouts2

Reply #61   Jan 30, 2012 9:29 am

Niper99,

It’s sure looking like that.  It could easily be that he’s fixed one problem and unmasked another which may have been created when he cleaned the carb.

From above:

I located and bought a used coil from a local shop for $55 .  Yippie...I got spark.  I then put it all back together.  (I had also cleaned the carb and replaced several parts there in).  She started on the first pull!  It ran excellent for 30 seconds and then quit.  No more spark.

From this point on or shortly after the electrical problem could have been fixed but dregs remained blocking the main jet.  His primer seems to be fine and it starts and runs reliably.

He could put it back together, fire it up and keep punching the primer.  I bet it will run.  On the remote possibility it doesn’t then I’d get a spark tester and put it in line and run again. The tester should still flicker after the engine dies but still rotating.  If not then he really does have intermittent spark.

broncman

Reply #62   Jan 30, 2012 1:18 pm
Gentlemen,

Stopped by a local repair shop this morning (where I purchased the used coil).  He is going to see if he has a used flywheel I can try which has 3 strong magnets on it.  One would think that if 3 magnets are installed, they all should have a strong "pull" to them...not just one of the three. 

I must buy a briggs spark tester though!  What I am seeing is this.  When I hold the spark plug to the engine block, I will engage the electric starter for say 5-8 seconds.  During this time, I will see a good spark but then it stops sparking after a second or two.  Subsequent attempts will simply result in a "wimpy" spark or no spark at all.

Here is an interesting link regarding magnets on flywheels which I found on a search:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60985

RedOctobyr

Reply #63   Jan 30, 2012 1:56 pm
Hmmm, that was an interesting read. FWIW, you can get neodymium (rare earth) magnets off eBay. I also found some at the hardware store. Those are likely the type used in hard drives, referred to in that link. Just as another option, if you don't have a hard drive you can disassemble. I can't imagine that the magnets in drives can be very large, either. The heads are very small, and need to be able to move very quickly. So I'd expect you could substitute another source for powerful magnets.

It sure sounds worth a shot. You have tried closing the plug gap way down, right? To, say, 0.010" or so? Might show whether or not you can still maintain a spark that way. Is it possible that, while cranking, the plug starts to move around and loses good contact with the block, hence losing the visible spark? Could you try something like grounding a bare-ended wire under an engine bolt, then securely attaching the other bare end to the threads of the plug, and see what you observe then?
trouts2

Reply #64   Jan 30, 2012 2:35 pm
>>>One would think that if 3 magnets are installed, they all should have a strong "pull" to them...not just one of the three.

Not necessairly.  It could be they are different for timing, field shaping or varying strength.  One could be a weaker (cheaper) magnet for a tickler field to trigger the transistor.  Could be anything or exactly as you think.  Your getting a nice fat spark consistantly is not due to weak magnets.

broncman

Reply #65   Feb 4, 2012 6:33 pm
I have not yet made any substantial progress on this machine.  I did see a flywheel on ebay that I was interested in purchasing.  I asked the seller if all three magnets on the flywheel he was selling for the CCR2000 had basically the same magnetic pull.  He stated that the middle one is the magnet and the outer two are just blanks.  Well there you have it I guess. 
tomc585

Reply #66   Feb 16, 2012 11:52 am
I have 2 of these toro's that have been great. Last week I went to start one (38180)and it just wasn't feeling right. After about 10 aggressive pulls the rope came out...ugggg. Back into the garage I removed the pull cover and fix the cord. A few more pulls and I surrender to the fact that it's not going to start. Long story short..no spark. I checked all as mentioned, kill switch, spark plug, fly wheel gap etc. No luck with an unknown ign module I had in a draw and the other unit (38185) doesnt have a module I can borrow. My readings from the coil assembly are 1.1ohms and 11.4k ohms. In earlier post i read a max of just under 8k ohms for the primary. Is 11.4k out of range? I want to be sure before I purchase any parts. Thanks. Note: This flywheel has a single magnet and is very strong.
This message was modified Feb 16, 2012 by tomc585
trouts2

Reply #67   Feb 16, 2012 1:35 pm
   The low reading is on the primary.  The high on the secondary.  Over 8 is high.  You mentioned going over everything so just a reminder that many people replace coils for problems in the sparkplug wire and boot.  You've probably already tried connecting one lead to the ground lead and worked the other inside the plug boot while twisting the boot/wire connection to check for a resistance change.  Before tossing it you might do what's the other poster tried as a last resort of pulling the plug wire from the body & etc....
Replies: 58 - 67 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42