Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Denny

Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire
Original Message   Dec 12, 2007 8:14 pm
I turned the key on and have no spark from the plug or even the plug wire when turning over the engine

How do I know if it is the coil magneto or the xstar module magneto?

It is a model 38180

Replies: 1 - 10 of 77NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
niper99

Re: Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire
Reply #1   Dec 12, 2007 11:18 pm
lm not sure exactly what your asking, l assume your machine wont start and it doesnt have spark, replace the spark plug first. check your kill swicth wire (there are several locations) and make sure there working proprerly and not grounding out some where, if that all checks out then your magneto is no good          need more help let me know
mech12

Reply #2   Dec 13, 2007 3:43 pm
  i have seen those keyswitches go bad.  take an ohm meter and touch both terminals of switch.  open youll will get a reaDIng,  close the switch/ off   should read  ol  or zeros.     the best way to check the coil  is to isolate it.   by that i mean you will need to remove the blower housing.   remove the green ground wire from terminal on ignition coil.  with that removed  put blower housing back on and pull over and check for spark.  by doing this you eliminate any chance of the ground wire shorting out on the block somewhere.  if you have spark after thjis test the the ground wire is bad.  if you still have no spark  the coil is bad.    sounds like a lot of work but you need to double check the coil.
niper99

Reply #3   Dec 13, 2007 5:51 pm
mech

thats what l was trying to say,  but your is easier to understand well said  lol

Denny

Reply #4   Dec 13, 2007 9:23 pm
The key switch is good and I will remove the cover next to test the magneto/coil.  One question I have is how to test if it's either this brass 1.5"X1" box or the coil itself. 

The box is called the xstar module magneto it's around $140.00 and the coil is around $120.00 at this website.

http://www.rcpw.com/   the Toro is model 38180 and it shows a picture of what I am talking about.

Thanks for your replies.  I need to fix this thing before we get a storm on Sunday.  We just had 6 inches fall today in Albany it took me 3X longer to get home today and I left at 3:30.  The roads were a mess and a lot of people on the freeway.

niper99

Reply #5   Dec 14, 2007 12:47 am
l didn't reliaze that you hade a seperate igntion module l'm not exactly sure how to test that, but if l had to bet on it l would replace the module 90% sure.  maybe u should take it to a shop to make sure 140.00 dollaurs ain't  a cheap guess
Denny

Reply #6   Dec 21, 2007 6:41 pm
I replaced electronic/magneto box/ignition module with a generic Stens Mega Fire II. I know have spark at the plug, I didn't't before.

I gapped the plug and put it in. I now start the engine (using 100% gas to test)

It starts a little then misfires and sometimes backfires. It doesn't stay running.

The paperwork for the Mega Fire says it may not work with more than one magnet in the flywheel, (I have three).

Do you think I might need the Toro OEM magneto module for timing purpose.
Could it be because the 100% gas?

The resistance/ohm check for the coil was 1.1 ohms from one coil to gnd then 11K ohms to the plug wire. I think the coil good as the original problem was no spark and now I have spark after the module change.
mech12

Reply #7   Dec 22, 2007 5:25 pm
  yes,  the only thing that mega fire does is to replace points and a condensor.  if you have an external "timimg" module  you cant overide that with this mega fire.   that suzuki engine with break your bank.  
Denny

Re: Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire FIXED
Reply #8   Dec 23, 2007 5:55 pm
FIXED!!!!!!!I had to scrape some paint to get a good ground and reverse the wires on the "universal" ignitor (Mega Fire II) $15.00 vs. $110.00 OEM

Blowin snow, thanks

miller87

Reply #9   Feb 12, 2010 8:10 pm
I realize this post is old and Denny may no longer be on this board, but I had to ask.  I seem to have the same problem and the shop wanted about $140 for the Toro 81-0340
Xstar Module-Magneto.  Including labor it was pushing $200 and I only paid $75 for this eight years ago.  I just can't see putting that much into this machine so after reading this post I asked them to order the Stens Mega Fire II 440465 ignition module for $18 and I'll install it myself.  So if Denny is still out there or anyone else who has experience with this part, I'd like to know if it is durable in this application.

Which wiring method do I use, the negative ground or positive ground? See the wiring diagram at http://www.rcpw.com/kawasaki-ignition-coils-parts/440465.html.  Click on the 2nd thumbnail pic for the diagram.

Thanks!

(The machine in question is a 1987 Toro CCR2000, model 38180)

miller87

Reply #10   Feb 17, 2010 10:16 pm
Update.  I bought the part mentioned in this thread, the Mega Fire II universal ignition module (http://www.rcpw.com/kawasaki-ignition-coils-parts/440465.html).  I actually got it from my local Toro shop.  I installed it with the negative ground wiring as shown in the installation diagram.  I decided to install the module up near the spark plug access cover instead of under the engine near the auger as the original part was.  Since I'm not sure of the durability of the part in this application, I wanted to make it easy to replace it if it fails.

From what I can tell, the original part (Toro Xstar Module-Magneto 81-0340) was grounded by its metal case with the two screws that held it to the engine block.  I grounded the new module with the included bare-end wire.  I clamped the bare wire (which I stripped to about 1") under the bolt holding the key switch ground wire.  I applied dielectric grease to all connections.  I'll secure the module body with a wire so it stays in place yet is isolated from engine heat and vibration.  It seems like the old module failed when the engine was hot and I figured minimizing vibration couldn't hurt.

I'll post pictures once I get it done if I can do it on this site.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 77NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42