Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help! Simplicity or Troy-Bilt?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gatorinmn

Help! Simplicity or Troy-Bilt?
Original Message   Dec 6, 2007 5:03 pm
Recently moved to Minnesota and I've discovered that I DEFINITELY need a Snowblower!  But GOSH, the things are expensive!  And they're tough to find at this time of year.  I've found some 2-stage, 8 HP or more machines available in the area, built by either Simplicity, Snapper, or Troy-Bilt.  I wanted a Toro or an Ariens, but no luck.  Can anyone tell me if these are decent brands and are worth shelling out the bucks (close to $1K) for?  Thanks!
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
markbean

Re: Help! Simplicity or Troy-Bilt?
Reply #2   Dec 6, 2007 6:23 pm
I posted a similar question a few weeks ago.  Re: Simplicity vs Ariens vs Toro...they are all good choices.  Try-Bilt is a good value but of lower quality.  I suggest that you skip the big box stores and purchase from a local shop that will show you how to use it and will repair/service the unit.
elussive1

Reply #3   Dec 6, 2007 6:37 pm
By lower quality, do you mean that the Troy built will only last 5-10 years instead of 20+ for the ariens etc...  or do you mean that the performance is drastically different, or both?
gatorinmn

Reply #4   Dec 7, 2007 9:27 am
Thanks, all.  I ended up buying a Snapper (which I understand is the same as Simplicity, but with a different label) 9.5 HP.  It's being delivered today.  Thanks for all of your responses, and I'll let you know how it works out!
Gelid

Reply #5   Dec 7, 2007 10:37 am
elussive1 wrote:
By lower quality, do you mean that the Troy built will only last 5-10 years instead of 20+ for the ariens etc...  or do you mean that the performance is drastically different, or both?

Value brand snowblowers use more generic parts than others and poor fit -especially between impeller and impeller housing- usually means poor snow clearing performance. One thing I often notice with such machines is that many of them attain high speeds (impractically high in fact) but can't throw snow more than a few feet regardless of engine size, inefficient power distribution is a sure sign of poor design. As for longevity it's hard to tell since most owners get tired of them long before they develop serious mechanical issues.

That said, I know a few DIY'ers who purposefully buy value snowblowers and turn them into efficient machines with surprisingly little investment. This is possible because a lot of low-cost machines are equipped with reasonably good quality engines. With the notable exception of Honda snowblower manufacturers generally don't manufacture their own engines so even "cheap" brands have to buy theirs from the same suppliers the others guys do and there aren't that many engines that are suited for the job, truly bad ones are rare.        

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42