Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower wheels don't engage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
afbnoles1

Snowblower wheels don't engage
Original Message   Dec 5, 2007 7:33 am
I have a Craftsman snowblower with auto wheel drive.  When I press down the handle to engage the wheels, they do not turn.  My auger rotates with the other handle when engaged, but not my wheels.

Is this an easy fix or do i have to take it somewhere?

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Snowblower wheels don't engage
Reply #1   Dec 5, 2007 8:59 am
Depends on you're level of mechanical expertise and what knowledge you want to get before trying the fix.

Fist off try doing some searches on this site to find out what the terminology is for snow blowers, there is no "auto wheel drive" that I am aware of. There is also information about what types of information to post when you are asking a question like this, in particular a model number and vintage of the machine would be handy to know. Basic net etiquette suggests doing some research before posting a question and asking people to spend time helping you. It would also be a good idea to look over the owner's manual and see what they say. It will increase your safety when you use the machine and help you understand how it works. If you don't have a manual try the retailer website as well as the manufacturer of the engine. You could even look at other manufacturers' web sites and download a manual for a similar sized machine. It  will give you a general feel for how the machines work.

You probably have a two stage snowblower with a pin lock traction system.

Things to check:
  1. Axle Locked to Wheels - Are the pins still there and attaching the wheels to the axle? Get spare pins;
  2. Control Adjustment - Check the linkage to the traction control lever, if it is too loose then the friction disk won't engage. If you pull the cable by hand and the wheels engage then thats the problem;
  3. Pulley Adjustment - Take the pulley cover off and check that the belts ( there should be two ) are both on and tensioned properly. Check for wear and replace if necessary. Also check the belt tension;
  4. Clutch - Put the blower into the service position ( clearing dirt to China ) open the back cover of the traction system and check the friction disk mechanism, if the rubber on the friction wheel is all gone you need a new one. There is a chain in the mechanism as well, make sure it is engaged. Lubricate as needed, test the control linkages and adjust as needed. The wheel should be on one side of the disk for forward and on the other side for reverse.
If none of that works or it sounds too complicated take it into to a servicing dealer.

Before doing 2 through 4 make sure you disconnect the spark plug and ensure the blower is off. Trying searching the site for safety procedures.
Gelid

Reply #2   Dec 5, 2007 10:25 am
afbnoles1 wrote:

Is this an easy fix or do i have to take it somewhere?

I think you better take it to the shop

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
borat

Reply #3   Dec 5, 2007 10:25 am
He might have one of the newer models with the hydrostatic drive.  I looked at one before I bought the Simplicity.  Hydrostatic seemed nice but it would also be expensive to diagnose and fix. 
Gelid

Reply #4   Dec 5, 2007 10:35 am
Hydrostatic is nice but unfortunately its simplicity of operation misleads some owners to abuse the transmission mechanism by failing to disengage the drive clutch prior to shifting into reverse, some don't even bother to stop the machine. In my experience too many dealers neglect to stress the importance of proper procedure and too many people just assume that if something can be done then it's ok to do it.

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
solara

Reply #5   Dec 5, 2007 1:33 pm
the belt  ????

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42