Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Newbee needs help :-) Ariens 624E?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
testrada

Newbee needs help :-) Ariens 624E?
Original Message   Dec 4, 2007 3:31 pm
Hello.
I am a newbee to big boys snow blowers and have only lived in snow climates for 9 years.

I have used a small single stage 4.5hp toro for the last 7 years, shoveled my first two years (and kicked myself in the butt for not having bought a snow blower earlier).
However, with yesterdays thick heavy wet snow and my aging body I finally broke and with a beat up tired look convinced the wife that it was time to get a real machine.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the manureability of the small toro, but any kind of semi heavy snow it just struggles and can't throw it further than a couple of feet, which in turn needs to be thrown over and over and by the time I reach the edge of the driveway it is so heavy and packed that the machine stalls unless I move one inch / minute in order to keep to 2cycle engine revved up...   not too mention having to shove the machine back and forth into the snow so as to catch the highest rpms...  It just gets old.

So yesterday I went to Home Depot and picked up an Ariens 624E for $750 (6hp, no frills machine), took it it home and began to clear up where I had left with the Toro.

First problem I had is that the machine will climb up on top of the packed snow rather than break it apart and throw it.
Second problem is that if I pull up on the handles so as to force the machine to not climb on the packed snow, the tires slip, and sometimes even not pulling up the tires slipped.

So I am afraid that I may have under estimated what I needed in order to break up the stubborn packed wet snow and I seek help from the pros.

My driveway is asphalt, fits 2 rows of 5 medium sized cars back to back, and has a side section (basketball/extra parking) that fits about 3 cars side by side.   It's shaped like a this   |-   

Questions:
Did I screw up buying the 624? ( I think I can exchange for a bigger machine given HD satisfaction policy)
Is the 624E machine enough to clear up heavy packed wet snow in such size driveway in southern New Hampshire?
Will a more powerful heavier machine (such as the ariens 824e for $950) exhibit the same issues or is this a problem with all snow blowers regardless of size?
I mean, if for a couple hundred bucks more I will have a whole different experience, then it is well worth it as I think this machine will last 20+ years...   but if I need to buy a $5000 machine then that is a different story.

Any advice, tips, comments, will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Tony
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Newbie needs help :-) Ariens 624E?
Reply #3   Dec 4, 2007 5:27 pm
Guys,

To solve the Slush / very wet snow,  install "Clarences Snowblower Impeller Kit"

I have it on my blower!!

It will, I think solve 95 % of slush / wet snow blowing!! IMHO

Just Google: Clarences Snowblower Impeller Kit !!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Moderator Denis

Reply #4   Dec 4, 2007 7:38 pm
jubol wrote:
Guys,

To solve the Slush / very wet snow,  install "Clarences Snowblower Impeller Kit"

I have it on my blower!!

Fred

Hi Fred good to see you again, yes I heard about Clarence Kit, I agree it's good, but why company's doesnt put them on their machine? Is it because its patented? Or security question? help us out Bud

Regards!

niper99

Re: Newbee needs help :-) Ariens 624E?
Reply #5   Dec 5, 2007 2:25 am
l got a 8 24 toro 1979 and l use studs on my wheels works very well

last week l put chians on a customer machine and he said its like night/day, l would try chians

good luck

borat

Reply #6   Dec 5, 2007 10:20 am
jubol wrote:
Guys,

I have it on my blower!!

Fred

Hi Fred.

I just finished checking out Clarence's site.  He's a little light on installation instructions.  None whatsoever that I could find.  I assume that removal of the impeller is required.  Is that right?  Thereafter, drilling the impeller and installation of the components.  Are the nuts and bolts made of stainless and are they lock nuts?   For thirty bucks, I could make those components out of stainless steel and pieces of conveyor belt.  Not that I'm afraid to spend the money.  It's more of the fact that if I make the components out of premium material and use premium fasteners, It will last longer, require fewer changes and be easier to remove and replace because the fasteners held up better.  What are your thoughts?

jubol

Reply #7   Dec 5, 2007 1:29 pm
It's easy,

First pull spark wire off of plug!!

1.   Take the snow discharge chute off.

2    Bend the metal from Clarence to match the bend in the Impeller, if it has one.

2a. Bring impeller blade into position to drill, tie down auger handle, keeps impeller from moving!!

3    Clamp the Rubber and metal to the impeller. You will need a 12 in long bit, sharpened.

I use drill doctor on my bits, sharpen after every 4 holes drilled!! (Speeds drilling up)

4.   Drill one hole and bolt up, then the other 2 or 3 depending on your impeller l

5   Do the other impeller blades!!

6.. Reinstall chute!!

Takes between 1 to 3 hours, depending on your skills and sharp bits!!!

Nuts are locking, no stainless.

After I installed the kit, clear coated, bolt heads and nuts.

Hope this helps

This message was modified Dec 5, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
jubol

Reply #8   Dec 5, 2007 4:22 pm
Dennis,

Different makers have different tolerances on Impeller to Impeller housing!!

Honda, I think is less than 1/8th of an inch.

My Husky is 3/8ths !!

So closing the void, really makes a difference!!!

Say goodbye to plugs!!

Fred            

Gelid

Reply #9   Dec 5, 2007 6:36 pm
jubol wrote:

Different makers have different tolerances on Impeller to Impeller housing!!

Honda, I think is less than 1/8th of an inch.

My Husky is 3/8ths !!

Indeed, on Hondas and tracked Ariens snowblowers -and many professional models from other brands- the gap between impeller blades and housing wall is reduced to bare minimum which partly explains why those machines are able to throw to such great distances. Unfortunately this feature requires model-specific engineering of impeller and housing so it's not possible to implement it in more affordable models based on generic designs. This is where a DIY impeller modding kit such as Clarence's comes in handy.

However on some snowblowers engine power is calculated to take the capacity for "regurgitation" (backwash) into account as a way to relieve engine workload in demanding snow conditions so operators using the kit should be aware that the improved seal between impeller blades and housing wall may require that forward speed be reduced to avoid choking the engine. This mostly applies to engines of less than 8hp. Honda deals with this by using comparatively low hp rated high-torque engines where more power is imparted to the impeller and less to propulsion.

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
jubol

Reply #10   Dec 5, 2007 6:46 pm
1. Go twice as slow, throw snow 3 times as far!!!!

2. Go fast and throw snow 1/3 rd as far, but go faster!!

Me, # 1 is my choice!!           

What do you want ???

Fred

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #11   Dec 6, 2007 12:46 am
I would not install the impeller kit as long as you have a warranty. Installation will void a warranty!!!!!!!!!

Gelid

Reply #12   Dec 6, 2007 9:44 am
hirschallan wrote:
I would not install the impeller kit as long as you have a warranty. Installation will void a warranty!!!!!!!!!

This is obviously an issue but my guess is that most people interested in the kit have machines that are more than 2 years old and do a lot of their own maintenance.

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42