Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Troy Bilt Storm 5524

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
basshunter521

Troy Bilt Storm 5524
Original Message   Nov 28, 2007 5:01 pm
MY troy bilt snowthrower seems to stuck in gear. Can anyone tell me what I might do to fix this Problem
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
jubol

Re: Troy Bilt Storm 5524
Reply #1   Nov 28, 2007 5:52 pm
Hi,

Drain gas and oil!

Then tip it up on its bucket.

There is a bottom pan / plate, remove.

Inspect and check for mice or other critters.

If not that, oil metal moving parts.

Make sure, no oil on rubber wheel or plate that it rubs on!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
basshunter521

Reply #2   Nov 29, 2007 12:27 am
Thanks Fred. I'll Try That.
papa436

Reply #3   Dec 12, 2009 4:53 pm
Hi Fred

I have the same problem with my 5524 storm..

Less than 5 years old with little use.

Wheels are locked up. A few times I could push the machine back and forth , and free them up.

There are multiple gear sets under the bottom pan.

If you slide (remove the pin) the first gear to the left , the wheels free up.

Not sure , it may be a worn bushing , any ideas ?

Thanks

Frank

borat

Reply #4   Dec 12, 2009 5:44 pm
For your information, Fred (Jubol) passed away close to two years ago. Sad. He seemed like a great guy.
papa436

Reply #5   Dec 17, 2009 3:47 pm
Sorry to hear about Fred's passing.

I do have more info on the wheels locking up on Troy-Bilts 5524 Storm snowblowers.

When I tore mine apart , it seems that there is needle bearings in one of the drive gears on the hex shaft.

In Tory-Bilts infinite wisdom (or lack of) they did not supply a way to lubricate them.

So mine froze on the shaft , after water got in. and was allowed to sit for the summer.

I was able to free up the bearings , and drilled a hole in the shaft (for a grease fitting).

Hopefully this will prevent this from happening again.

I hope this helps anyone else that may have the same problem in the future.

This message was modified Dec 17, 2009 by papa436
daverly95

Reply #6   Feb 13, 2010 9:01 pm
My Troy Bilt Storm 5524 also had a problem where the wheels locked up.  I had to take off the wheels to get the hex shaft out of the unit.  The gear assembly had significant rust on the bearings that roll against the hex shaft.  I sprayed PB Blaster to remove the rust, then applied Moly grease to all the gears and reassembled everything.  Needless to say this took awhile.  Also I found that the bolts that hold the wheels in place can not be too tight.  If the bolts are screwed in too tight, the wheels also lock up. 

Another thing I find a little annoying is the metal tubing that holds the gear shift linkage in the locked position when you use it.  The gear shift linkage is designed with a hinge so you can fold the handles down for storage.  While you're using the machine and shifting it from forward to reverse a few times, the metal tubing comes loose which prevents you from changing speeds.  I'm not sure if there is a fix from Troybilt for this, but I use some electrical tape to hold it in place.  It works.
Chrisnyc

Reply #7   Feb 21, 2010 10:16 am
Hi, Need a picture and or part # for Storm 5524 carb air filter. I don't have part manual and can't find it online. I tried to register at Troy bolt USA for manual but database wouldn't accept my serial and model #'s????? Thanks for any assistance.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42