Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman with OHV or Ariens/Toro with L-Head

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sharkbait

Craftsman with OHV or Ariens/Toro with L-Head
Original Message   Nov 28, 2007 3:14 am
I've been researching here for weeks trying to make up my mind on which blower to get. I've got it narrowed down to either the Craftsman 881060 with the Briggs OHV for $1050 or to pony up another $600-700 for a better name brand, Ariens/Toro/Simplicity. Is it really worth the price difference for the name brands? We're talking 50% again of what you would pay for the whole machine. True, Craftsman build quality can be sketchy at times(Craftsman chute control vs. Toro), but this model does have most of the options that the others offer at a lot lower cost. I guess I would prefer the high HP/torque Briggs OHV engine but I can't find it in a name brand machine without dropping close to $2000. Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks
p.s. I live in Minnesota on the edge of a big lake and have a 20x100ft concrete driveway that drifts up to 40" multiple times in the winter.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Talldog

Re: Craftsman with OHV or Ariens/Toro with L-Head
Reply #1   Nov 28, 2007 8:36 am
Hello, with the size of your driveway and the amount of snow you get, I would look at the Simplicity Signature Pro line of snowblowers. They are truly an industrial quality machine. They are not cheap, but are worth the extra money IMO. 
ajallen

Reply #2   Nov 28, 2007 9:23 pm
The Ariens/Toro/Simplicity/Snapper/Honda snow throwers are most definitely worth the extra money. This sears model is built by Husqvarna/AYP better than MTD or Murray but not in the others league. Some of the new Murray larger units are made by Simplicity/Snapper all owned by Briggs.

AJ

sharkbait

Reply #3   Nov 29, 2007 4:59 am
Thanks for the fast replies, I'm actually leaning towards the Simplicity right now, a local dealer has a couple L10530's on hand for $1499, $100 off MSRP. Now if I could just convince my live in banker it's worth $450 more than the Craftsman. Anybody out there have this specific model or one similar and have any insights or reviews? Any non-partisan websites with reviews?

Thanks again

borat

Reply #4   Nov 29, 2007 12:30 pm
I bought the Simplicity 9528 and dumped my old 10 h.p. 29" Craftsman.   Both machines can move snow but I'm certain the Simplicity will last twice as long if not longer than a Craftsman.  The Simplicity also out distances the Craftsman by nearly twenty feet.  So, if you want durability and performance, spend the extra few bucks and go for one of the higher end brands.  You won't regret it.   Try to get the ohv engine.  It's sooooo much smoother and quieter.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42