Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Old Ariens model 10970-Question about shearbolt

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ibstarved

Old Ariens model 10970-Question about shearbolt
Original Message   Nov 24, 2007 7:51 pm
I have my old faithful Ariens 10970,    late 70's   I believe I broke a shearbolt end of last season.

here's my scenario: 2 piece rake(auger) right side of rake from center resevoir turns but once there is a snow load it stops and clogs.

Upon inspecting I noticed a broken bolt within the auger on the shaft, assuming that is a shear bolt..

my problem: the shear bolt did just that, sheared off, how can i remove the bolt that broke off in the shaft,flush with the shaft, without drilling

and is that shearbolt standard size on all old ariens.

any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
borat

Re: Old Ariens model 10970-Question about shearbolt
Reply #1   Nov 24, 2007 8:13 pm
Spray  location of shear pin hole with WD-40.  Get a hammer and a nail of similar size as the shear bolt and pound the broken shear bolt through the hole on the opposite side.  If it still doesn't move, apply some heat to the shaft near the shear pin hole.  You might get some smoke but that will likely be the grease cooking between  the auger and drive shaft.  Don't use too much heat.  You don't want to damage seals associated with the drive system.  Not sure about your machine but there usually should be a couple of grease fittings on each side of the auger gear case.  Ensure you put some grease through them to lubricate the auger shaft.   Shear bolts/pins are of a specific size and hardness.  Keep your portion of the shear bolt you punched out and take it to any hardware store and tell them you need shear bolts of the same diameter. 
This message was modified Nov 24, 2007 by borat
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42