Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Matching oil viscosity to air temp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ithaca_mike

Matching oil viscosity to air temp
Original Message   Nov 24, 2007 4:31 pm
Hi folks,

This forum is a great resource; thanks for all the useful information.

My question concerns the type of oil I should use in my Toro 1028LXE snowblower. The manual says to use straight 30W when the air temp is 32 degrees F, 5W30 or 10W when the temp is 0 to 32 degrees F, and 0W30 synthetic when the temp is below 0 F. From past experience, I'll be using the snowblower in all three of those temp ranges. Changing the oil as the weather conditions change seems like overkill. Is it best to go up the middle and use 5W30 or 10W? Which type of oil offers the most protection over the widest range of temperatures? The snowblower is stored in an unheated barn.

Thanks,
Mike

Toro 1028LXE, Toro SR4, JD LX255, Makita RBC221
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
jubol

Re: Matching oil viscosity to air temp
Reply #1   Nov 24, 2007 4:59 pm
IM,

If you have changed your oil at least once since new, then go Syn oil, higher flash point  stays thinner when cold, and better lube when first starting you engine.

Change oil in spring when blowing season is over, there is a lot of acids in the oil after using your blower.!!

Do not let the Acid filled oil sit in your engine all summer, I repeat Change after  season is over!!

I have been using Syn 5 /10 W all the winters in my blowers since 1990  ! !

Has worked great for me.

Fred

This message was modified Nov 24, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
borat

Reply #2   Nov 24, 2007 5:27 pm
I agree with Jubol.  Run mineral oil for the first season then switch to synthetic.    
This message was modified Nov 24, 2007 by borat
Moderator Denis

Reply #3   Nov 27, 2007 7:51 am
jubol wrote:
IM,

If you have changed your oil at least once since new, then go Syn oil, higher flash point  stays thinner when cold, and better lube when first starting you engine.

Change oil in spring when blowing season is over, there is a lot of acids in the oil after using your blower.!!

Do not let the Acid filled oil sit in your engine all summer, I repeat Change after  season is over!!

I have been using Syn 5 /10 W all the winters in my blowers since 1990  ! !

Has worked great for me.

Fred

Hi fred how long do you keep you syntetic oil in the engine? 1, 2, 3 years?

Thanks

jubol

Reply #4   Nov 27, 2007 8:38 am
I keep it in for one season, one year!

Change after snow blowing is over, then do it again after the next snow blow season is over.

Fred

This message was modified Nov 27, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42