Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > noisy tecumseh snow blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
skadoo4u

noisy tecumseh snow blower
Original Message   Nov 15, 2007 10:32 am
     I own a white 10.5 hp and a new toro 10 hp snowblower ...both engines are tecumseh snow king ( both look identical to me) these are very noisy ,,,has anyone ever hear of a better muffler for these puppies.     The noise is annoying and i would really appreciate some input ,,  thks Mike
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
borat

Re: noisy tecumseh snow blower
Reply #1   Nov 15, 2007 6:46 pm
Even if you achieve quieter exhaust, the engine mechanical noise is still very substantial.  I've seen brand new 9 to 12 h.p. B&S Intek Snow engines on sale is the U.S. for as little as $335.00.  They even come with required hardware (spacers) to achieve the correct engine height when replacing a Tec L head engine.  So, you can wait for the Tec to expire or change it out for a new B&S if it really annoys you..   
solara

Reply #2   Nov 15, 2007 9:08 pm
hearing muffs.20 to 35$. if u want to go fancy get the kind that can be connnected to an ipod. cheaper than upgrading.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
nibbler

Reply #3   Nov 15, 2007 10:42 pm
Ear muffs give around 25dB of protection while good plugs give about 28db. A 3db difference is double or half the volume.

Ear muffs are easier to put on and take off while plugs are smaller and easier to carry around when not in use.

I tend to not like the idea of wearing hearing protection and then adding noise ( admittedly enjoyable), it sort of defeats why we are wearing the protection in the first place.

A lot of times I'll use plugs and muffs.
tsmagas

Reply #4   Dec 1, 2007 6:12 pm
I do not know of any muflers but i know for sure they are noisey i h ave a single toro stage and it has a tichumse motor and it is also loud
skadoo4u

Reply #5   Dec 11, 2007 11:15 am
thks for remarks...I guess that I will wear my earplugs,,,same as last  year..the noise is ok for 15 to  20 minutes but after 4 to 5 hrs of constant vibration engine noise , the ear plugs are the way to go....
Gelid

Reply #6   Dec 11, 2007 11:52 pm
solara wrote:
hearing muffs

Trapper hat

I use one similar to the one the guy is wearing below:

They have integrated earmuffs (they are raised in the picture which imho looks goofy), just let the flaps hang down, button down the earmuffs so as to not look like an idiot with puffs of fur jutting out the sides of your head, and voila!  The one I use has waterproof outer shell and is lined with rabbit fur which has great soundproofing properties, better than sheepskin. Keeps you warm as well. Price? A whooping $40.

Only one caveat: rabbit fur is puffy so wearing this hat with flaps neatly folded on top makes you look like a mushroom. Keep 'em down.   

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
Moderator Denis

Green Snowblowing 2
Reply #7   Dec 12, 2007 7:24 am
skadoo4u wrote:
     I own a white 10.5 hp and a new toro 10 hp snowblower ...both engines are tecumseh snow king ( both look identical to me) these are very noisy ,,,has anyone ever hear of a better muffler for these puppies.     The noise is annoying and i would really appreciate some input ,,  thks Mike

This video can convict you to change your life forever!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MYg63LqX0

Gelid

Re: Green Snowblowing 2
Reply #8   Dec 12, 2007 1:37 pm
Denis wrote:
This video can convict you to change your life forever!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MYg63LqX0

He he he

For some reason I appear unable to ever replicate performance of power stuff shown on TV. I suspect our local snowplows are flawed because the goo they leave at EOD is brownish and heavy not light and fluffy like in the ad. :(  

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42