Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 46" Husky wearing out front shafts!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
banshee

46" Husky wearing out front shafts!
Original Message   Nov 11, 2007 11:50 am
I have a 46" Husky riding mower and the front wheels keep wearing out the shafts they ride on. I replaced them with all the parts listed in the manual, but it seems I'm missing something. The wheels are real wobly. It looks to me like there should be a sleeve of some sort between the the shaft and the hollow part of the rim. Nothing like that is mentioned in the part book. I'm assuming there must be something there, or it was part of the rim and just wore out.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
borat

Re: 46" Husky wearing out front shafts!
Reply #1   Nov 11, 2007 2:38 pm
Assuming you mean the wheels wear the axles or the axles wear the wheels, or both, it would appear that you have a lubrication problem.  I have a 2002 Husky 42", 15 h.p. tractor.  On the inside of the front wheel hub there's a grease fitting.  Do you have a fitting on the inside of your wheels?  If not, you may have to manually grease the axles and/or wheel bearings.  If your wheels are wobbly after new replacement of either wheel  bearings or axle.  It seems as though one or the other is worn.  If you replace both bearings and axles with new components, everything should be snug.  If you have a worn axle and put new bearings on it, that won't last long.  If you have worn bearings and put them on a new axle, that won't last either.  If your wheels are wobbly, I'd replace all wheel bearings and axles with new components.  Ensure you grease the wheel bearings before re-assembly.  Often, wheel bearings are sold without being greased for operation.  Get wheel bearing grease for the job.  If you can find wheels with a grease fitting, I'd put them on as well.    
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42