Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower for a really steep driveway

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
automatic1stdown

Snowblower for a really steep driveway
Original Message   Oct 30, 2007 2:40 pm
I was hoping to get some advice on snowblowers for a really steep paved driveway.  We just moved into a new home that has a 200' driveway that I anticipate will be a PITA to snowblow this winter.  The steepest part is at the top 1/4 and I have to use a walkbehind mower on the lawn because my Husqavarna lawn tractor can't make it up the incline.  Just walking up the driveway when completely dry is a chore.

My first thought was to buy a track-drive snowblower, but these seem to be a rarity in today's market for some reason.  It looks like Honda and Ariens make track-drive snowblowers, but they're really pricey (starts at $2k and up!).  Is it safe to use a wheel-drive snowblower on my steep driveway?  There are some wheel-drive models that have peaked my interest, but I'm worried the tires will slip.  My biggest fear is the wheels will slip and the snowblower will slide backward into me!  I suppose I could use tire chains, but won't that damage the pavement and negate any cost savings of a wheel-drive over a track-drive?

Thanks in advance

Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Snowblower for a really steep driveway
Reply #7   Nov 3, 2007 4:11 pm
Auto

Track drives are just as easy to turn as wheeled blowers,when running,

when not ,put it on a $20.0 dolly!

Get the track drive for your driveway. You will never regret it!!!!

The friends of mine who have tracked blowers just love them!!!

Very easy to use! 

Also Ariens dealers have no experience with the new Ariens Track Drive units, brand new this year!!!! 

So the Ariens salesman you talked to did not know what he was talking about ! ! ! ! ! ! 

Fred

This message was modified Nov 3, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #8   Nov 5, 2007 5:31 pm
auto1stdown:

My driveway is fairly long but not as steep as yours but I found it much easier to take just 1/2 an intake mouth full of snow or less going up hill. I also threw a 20 pound bag of cat litter on top of the intake chute which helped traction when cutting through the packed 3 foot EOD from the city plow. It also helps keep the nose from climbing.
nibbler

Reply #9   Nov 6, 2007 8:41 am
Crampons are used by people who have fun by climbing up walls of ice by sticking the toe picks in and  hiking around on glaciers that may be on 45° or greater slopes. Yes they are kind of expensive on a per kg ( lb) basis. On the basis of what happens if you fail they are real inexpensive. You can see the same type of difference in so called snap links at the corner variety and carabiners at a climbing store. The first is designed to hold keys the other will hold you and a full backpack.

Snowman mentioned in a previous thread that the new Ariens tracked units had a differential that was designed specifically for the tracked units. I suspect that you need to have the engine going and the traction system engaged before you can judge how hard it is to turn. The idea of a dolley for non-powered movement is something I wish I had remembered.
automatic1stdown

Reply #10   Nov 6, 2007 10:16 am
Just to provide some closure to this thread I wanted to post that I purchased a 2007 model 9526DLE Pro yesterday at an Ariens dealer.  Here are the reasons why I choose the 9526DLE over the 9526DLET (Track version)

• $500 premium to get basically the same machine spec-wise.  The 9526DLET will undoubtably have more traction and be quieter (B&S Intek), but that's not worth it to me.  That's a pretty steep price increase considering Honda charges only $100 to get a track-drive over a wheel-drive.
  • Dealer has not sold any yet.
  • Dealer has not serviced one before.
  • Track-drive seems more complicated and prone to more problems over the long haul.
  • Brand-new track design will probably take a few years to get the bugs worked out.
  • Difficult to turn.  There is no way my wife could operate a 9526DLET if I was out of town on business.

I am sure the 9526DLET is a fine machine, but it didn't seem like a good pick right now.  Thanks again guys for the help.

Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42