Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 7HP #924038 snowthrower -engine shot.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Kenneth

Ariens 7HP #924038 snowthrower -engine shot.
Original Message   Sep 4, 2007 8:34 pm
I have an old Ariens 7 HP snowthrower with a blown engine.  The model#924038, with the engine H70-13021OD. My problem is trying to find a replacement engine.  Ariens had Tecumseh e-mail me that the old engine is unavailable but an 8HP #208102A would be a good replacement.  The only trouble is no on-line is familiar with this part.  The engine has a 1" c/s with 2 13/32" length.  I really don't want to spend  a lot of money to replace an engine for probably an over 20 yr old snowthrower, but when it threw snow it went thru anything.  Can anyone suggest a replacement engine any brand ?
Replies: 5 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Greenman

Re: Ariens 7HP #924038 snowthrower -engine shot.
Reply #5   Sep 19, 2007 4:31 pm
Same problem- I have a Ariens 824A and last winter I blew the engine. A friend has a 10 hp Tecumseh he said he had to replace his as well. Mine is an 8hp with electric start which I could do without. The issue my friend cautioned me about is the shaft size 3/4 on the smaller motors and 1" on the larger. Anyone know a sourse for these motors is it worth it to replace a motor on a ten year old machine? An how big a job is it? Thanks in advance for your help.
nibbler

Reply #6   Sep 21, 2007 8:40 am
I replaced the engine on a 12 year old machine and its been running fine for 3 years. A lot depends on what shape its in and what maintenance you are willing to do.

How much time will it take?

What type of tools and experience do you have?

When I did it I had basic hand tools and an electric drill, it took me about 3 hours, I was working on my own. The hardest part was moving the engine around so that I could get the mounting bolts in and the nuts on. If I had to do it again I would make sure I had the correct mounting plate for the engine instead of fiddling and adapting the old one. I would also do it in the fall instead of the winter. An engine hoist would also be a nice thing.

The old engine had a 3/4" shaft while the new one had a 1" shaft so I had to a new pulley, I got one that was 1/4" larger diameter since I was switching from a 10.5HP L Head to an 11HP OHV. The machine certainly throws the snow and moves reasonably quickly so that worked out OK.
Kenneth

Reply #7   Sep 23, 2007 7:54 pm
I just replaced my old 7 hp for a new 8hp basically same crank shaft, so no need to replace pulleys.  The only adjustment I had to make, was move engine back about 1.5", and saw off mounting bolts.  There was no need to drill new holes, they were already there probably for the next engine up originally.  I repaced the two belts , and actually for never doing this it was pretty easy and rewarding.  Now I'm ready for winter and don't have to mess around in the cold snow.  Thanks again for eveyone's in-put it was really helpful and appreciated.
Moderator Denis

Reply #8   Sep 24, 2007 4:20 pm
Happy or you Pal, send us a picture  of your new machine

Regards!

Kenneth

Reply #9   Dec 18, 2007 8:58 pm
Just an up-date for general knowledge.  This past week-end we had several inches of snow, that was rained on over-night, and turned to thick slush.  Colder weather and the forcast of blizzard conditions made an immediate need to clean what was already down.  The new old Ariens went thru the slush very well,  and the next day the 9 inches of new snow was gone in no time.  I can't tell you how happy I am to have the old (new) Ariens really back in service.  The old machines were built for the ages.
Replies: 5 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42