Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2 stroke vs 4 stroke trimmers - Which cuts better???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kc0kdh

2 stroke vs 4 stroke trimmers - Which cuts better???
Original Message   Aug 20, 2007 7:29 pm

Ok....I'm aware of the advantages for each below.  One thing I have not been able to find any feedback or forums on is a simple question of which cuts better.  I recently bought a Troy-Built 2 stroke and after it warms up (which does take a few minutes) it does is great job.  I have the add on tools attachment and use an edger, blower and tiller (sometimes) attachment for lawn care around the house.  I have noticed the throttle control on the 2 stroke is difficult to control, even after a few minutes of warm up and getting full power.

Advantages

• 2 Stroke:
    • Higher revving
    • No cam or vales to worry about
    • Lighter
    • No need to change oil
  • 4 Stroke:
    • More quiet
    • More torque
    • No mixing of fuel
    • Less pollution

Here are my specific questions:

1.       Would the lower revving / higher torque 4 stroke cut better for all attachments?

2.       Does the 4 stroke have the same warm up and challenge of throttle control as the 2 stroke?

Thanks in advance....Lance

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
joshmech90

everything needs more power and nothing is powerful enough

Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke trimmers - Which cuts better???
Reply #1   Sep 8, 2007 3:05 am
the 4 stroke does not typically have the same starting and warmup trouble as the 2 stroke.  2 strokes are nice because of the rpm range. this is good for attahcments such as the trimmer or brushcutter. so if your just doing these go for the two stroke. owever 4 stroke twould work best if you are plasning on using a rototiller attachment or somthing like that. i know honda has a 4 stroke engine that can be operated at any angle. i big concern is the not having to change iold. i find that unless you are using it for commerical use( which most are not intended for) that you will probably not change the oil for any more than twice a year. 4 strokes are cleaner buring, more powerful, and require no mixing of gas. they are a beter all around choice. the two stroke has its purpoe howeve.

down with flatheads so we can finally get out of last century and welcome in the new age of OHV/OHC motors who are supirior in al ways!
Durgan

Reply #2   Sep 21, 2007 8:20 pm
In 2005 I bought an ECHO two stroke with the head where the string is push into place. The strings continually broke and I had to stop and start the unit about 20 times when I whacked my yard. Eventually my right arm was sore from trying to start the &^^%%$#@ thing.. Eventually it wouldn't start. I found the gas line hose had deterioated, since gas affected it. I gave it to a friend in frustration. Then I decided I would never buy a two stroke again.. It was JUNK..

I purchased the Honda four stoke with a bump reel and lerned how to wind the reel. This has served me well for the last year. It starts effortlessly. It is fairly large and I use the shoulder strqp when carrying. The reel works well. It is also expensive. But it works.

I have a rototiller B and S Engine, a weedwacker Honda, A lawn mover Honda, A riding mower B and S and a Chipper with a unknown engine. They are all FOUR STROKE.  Neve agin will I have a two stroke amongst my garden equipment..  My old rototiller is 25 years old and it starts on the first pull.

Small two strokes are a pain and they don't work in the end. Pay the money for a four stroke and you will be happy.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by a moderator
nibbler

Reply #3   Sep 24, 2007 8:19 am
I have a variety of two and four stroke engines. Anytime I've had a problem it was either lack of proper maintenance or operator error ( same thing in my mind).

I have been quite pleased with Stihl but have heard good things about other brands. From what I've heard manufacturers are moving towards 4 stroke since they are environmentally better.

I got a commercial grade back pack leaf blower and string trimmer/brush saw and have been quite pleased.
Durgan

Reply #4   Sep 25, 2007 4:35 pm
When my Echo weedwhacker quit, I called a local dealer for repairs ( 2006). He told me repairs would take six weeks because his yard was full of two-cycle engineed equipment awaiting repair. He mentioned something about 600 unit in his yard. This was when I decided no more two-cycle engines for me.

Mantenance is : mix the gas properly and pray, which seems to be the mantra. Like most prayers it simply doesn't work.- like small two-cycle engines. Unfortunately, two-cycle was all that was available until recent years.  Honda broke the tradition with a portable four-cycle that could be operated at extreme angles, and was light enough to be "portable". Maintenance is not black magic.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by a moderator
nibbler

Reply #5   Sep 26, 2007 8:45 am
I agree that its not rocket science but its amazing how ignorant a lot of people want to be. All of the local rentals will supply you with gas as part of renting a two stroke engine from them. The tanks all have the mix ratio  emblazoned on them and the rental person always explains how to mix fresh gas.They will even give you more gas if you use the first batch up. They still have people blowing engines because they thought you "just needed to put gas in".

2 stroke engines are mechanically simpler than 4 stroke and can be very reliable. However they, like any other machine, must be made with a proper design and good materials. They must also be maintained properly. If you do that they will work well for many years of normal, household use.

I tend to think that 4 stroke is a better way to go, particularly from the enviromental point of view. It does seem that the manufacturers are moving that way. Personally I use both and both work very well and have been quite reliable. I guess it depends on local conditions as well as personal experience.

Now, looking at the original topic it asks which cuts better. I think the answer from a cutting point of view is that they both cut the same ( little string goes round, grass falls over ). The other considerations have to do with reliability, enviromental damage, ease of maintenance, ease of fueling and personal preference and experience.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42