Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Weedeater Question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Weedeater Question
Original Message   Mar 15, 2005 8:55 pm
Okay everyone, here is a stumper for you:

I have a Weedeater GTI 17LE weed trimmer that I can't stop the fuel leak on.  Before you all start on me, I know that this is a cheapie unit (yes I got it for $60 about 10 years ago) but it has really served me well until last year.  It all started with the engine not wanting to run.  I figured that a carburator kit was in order, so I pulled it and put the kit in.  What I found to be the biggest culprit in non-operation was that the plastic fuel line in the tank had fallen apart.  So, easy fix right? Replace the line, NOT.  The first line I put on was the wrong outside diameter and leaked right away.  So on to line number 2.  This line appears to be the correct replacement, but yet I still get  slight fuel seapage between the line and the hole in the tank.  I went to several part sites and find that the factory line #530069247 is replaced with Stens ST-120-870.  Unfortunately, to order it on line ends up being about $14 buck for 50 cents worth of line. 

Any tricks for this? 

I just hate the idea of tossing this operational unit away just because I can't get a small fuel line to work.  The engine with the new kit really runs great.  Of course, I already have my eye on a Stihl trimmer if I just can't get this to work

bbwb

Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dturner384

Re: Weedeater Question
Reply #7   Jul 21, 2007 3:09 pm
Hi! All you have to do is replace the fuel lines with a good hose that is meant to endure gasoline exposure for long periods. I use Tygon. You will probably need a foot of 3/32 ID x 3/26 OD and a foot of .08 ID x .14 OD. There are many folks who can sell this to you through ebay. Just do a search, and they should come up for about $4 delivered and including postage.  Also, when you feed the new fuel line through the gas tank, try cutting it at a tapered angle.  This makes it much easier when feeding it through the whole, and since the line is a little larger than the whole, you will get a good seal.  Replacing the fuel line should be pretty easy from this point, and you might even want to replace that fuel filter too!

Cheers,

David
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Re: Weedeater Question
Reply #8   Jul 21, 2007 9:52 pm
i just bought a new weedeater for 50 bucks,might save alot of headaches,walmart,the evil empire.

Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42