Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Summertime problem with Ariens 924LE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sailor77077

Summertime problem with Ariens 924LE
Original Message   May 29, 2007 1:46 pm
Hola,

Just some background.  I bought an Ariens 926 LE new this year.  I used the entire season and after getting the belts adjusted correctly  it did the job.  I did have some trouble with pull starting (even when warmed, it  wasn't happening) and with it riding  up on EOD piles.

Now, here's my concern.  I  have an oil leak.  It is coming from the differential on the auger.  It is a clear oil with a high viscosity.  I noticed this because I moved the machine a few weeks ago and there was an oil spot on the concrete floor.  I tried to tighten up the bolts and only got about 1/4 of one turn out of one of them.  The others were tight enough that I didn't want to put any more torque on them.  I wiped the differential clean and put a rag under it--5 days later, more oil on the casing and 10 days later, a drip.

During the season, there were no leaks and no debris  was ever picked up by the machine (I was the only user).  Now, 3 months later, the  leak.  Anyone have any ideas?  My guess is that a gasket has gone bad, but it just doesn't sound right happening in the sumertime.  I would have expected the seals to expand with the heat.

Anyway,  I'm planning that I will have to replace the seal and the lube--any advice?  This Ariens continues to frustrate me

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
jubol

Re: Summertime problem with Ariens 924LE
Reply #1   May 29, 2007 2:26 pm
Sailor,

Take it to the dealer where you bought it, or to an Ariens dealer if bought elsewhere.

It should be under warranty!!

Ffred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
sailor77077

Reply #2   May 29, 2007 5:10 pm
Jubol,

That was my first thought, but I don't have a truck & the closest dealer wants almost $75 to pick it up.  Ariens,,,,*sigh*.  Beginning to wish I had just bought the neighbor's beer this summer & used his

Snowmann

Reply #3   May 29, 2007 10:44 pm
The seal is Loctite 518 Anaerobic sealant. There is no gasket. Short of bringing it to a dealer, you might want to see where it is leaking from. It could be a damaged oil seal, failed Loctite sealant, or the filler screw has been removed and replaced without freshening the thread sealant. Obviously these 3 instances vary greatly with the amount of effort to fix them. It's most likely not the Loctite (which is hardest to fix) but it's not impossible. The filler screw is easy, and the oil seal isn't too bad either.

If the unit was built in 2006 or 2007, there is a UV dye in the oil that will light up when exposed to high intensity UV light (one of those cheap blacklight bulbs won't quite do it, you'll need a more intense UV light). If you wipe down the gearcase well, let it sit, then shine it with the high intensity UV light, you will see exactly where the oil is coming from. The leak will light up like a Xmas tree. Without the UV dye, it is very difficult to determine the exact location of the leak.

If your unit was built in 2005 (bought new in a subsequent year) I don't believe the UV dye was in the oil and you'll need to track the leak more intently and manually.

First thing is first though, try the easy thing. Remove the filler screw, wipe the screw and the gearcase threads of oil as cleanly as possible. Then re-apply a thread sealant and reinsert the filler screw. If the filler screw is a trilobular thread rolling screw (looking from the side opposite the head, the thread profile will look triangular) then have Ariens mail you a p/n# 07417000. This should be a Rolok, not a Trilobe. Also, check the head for the funny looking "S" on the head than stands for Semblex, the mfg'er of Rolok screws. I believe there was a TSB about this filler screw at one time.

PK
Paul7

Reply #4   May 30, 2007 11:53 pm
I bought an  Ariens 11.5 hp deluxe model last Feb and noticed a redish colored substance that looked like it had seeped from the auger gear case.  I scraped some of it off and it wasn't a fluid...it actually seemed more like a wax.  I haven't had any leaks but I have wondered where that waxy stuff came from.
Snowmann

Reply #5   May 31, 2007 5:26 pm
That is the anaerobic sealant. Any that squeezes out of the parting line will not set (anaerobic means it sets in the absence of air). That is normal.
mech12

Reply #6   May 31, 2007 5:57 pm
  i  would call ariens themselves and get the scoop.  we were once an ariens dealer and if the unit is in fact under warranty, which no reason by the complaint it would not be,    the pick up fee is covered under warranty reimbursement from ariens to the dealer.

Paul7

Reply #7   Jun 2, 2007 12:19 pm
Snowmann wrote:
That is the anaerobic sealant. Any that squeezes out of the parting line will not set (anaerobic means it sets in the absence of air). That is normal.

Thanks for the info.  I was concerned that something was oozing out.  Does it matter if I leave it there...or can I wipe it off?
Snowmann

Reply #8   Jun 3, 2007 11:57 pm
Paul7 wrote:
Thanks for the info.  I was concerned that something was oozing out.  Does it matter if I leave it there...or can I wipe it off?

Paul7, You can wipe off any of the "squeezed out" sealant.

Sailor, There is a pickup and delivery fee that is covered under the warranty, but I believe it is capped at a certain dollar amount. You may want to ask your dealer.

PK
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42