Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 824 Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
More_Power

Toro 824 Snowblower
Original Message   May 27, 2007 8:55 pm
Hello everyone. First time posting on this forum.

I was given an old Toro 824 for free. I think it's a 1989 model. I never owned a snowblower so I don't know much about them. The only snowblowing I did was with my two arms and a shovel.

I just dismantled the blower in my garage because of rust all over and are in the process of painting the engine shroud peices, the entire auger assembly and shroud, and the wheels. I took off the carb and cleaned it also. It ran great before the teardown and hope it runs better when I'm finished.

I just have some questions;

1) I purchased a new muffler but there was no gasket with it. The old muffler had no gasket either. Should there be a gasket?

2) What engine oil should be used?

3) What type of spark plug? (I just want to be sure it has the correct one)

4) Should there be oil in the auger gear assembly? I read somewhere grease is only needed.

5) Should there be an air filter? I didn't see one attached.

Here are some images.

The teardown...

Here is the painted engine shroud and auger shroud...

Here is the cleaned carb with newly painted linkage bracket...

Many more things to do...

:)

This message was modified May 27, 2007 by More_Power
Replies: 2 - 11 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
More_Power

Re: Toro 824 Snowblower
Reply #2   May 28, 2007 9:51 pm
Thanks... The shaft came out pretty easy. So far everything has been going good. I'm installing stainless steel nuts and bolts on most of the machine. Some of the bolts with the same head are hard to find in stainless but  as long as the thread is the same I'll be happy.

I assume the rakes are on either side of the auger? If so, yes I did manage to take them off. I was sanding them today.

I'll have more pics by the weekend.
More_Power

Reply #3   Jun 6, 2007 8:54 pm
I will be assembling this snowblower this week. I just have a few questions that I'm not sure about.

1.) What position should the bushing that holds the auger shaft face? Is it correct in the first image (upper arrow) or should I flip it as shown in the second image. The second image has a larger copper surface.
2.) There is a hole on the bushing flange (lower arrow). What position should this face and what is this used for?

It would help if someone an assembly manual. But I don't think it's possible to get one.

Image 1

Image 2

3.) On the auger drive wheel (yellow arrow) there are locking bolts. What side should these bolts be on?
This message was modified Jun 6, 2007 by More_Power
Moderator Denis

Reply #4   Jun 6, 2007 11:26 pm
More_Power wrote:
I will be assembling this snowblower this week. I just have a few questions that I'm not sure about.

1.) What position should the bushing that holds the auger shaft face? Is it correct in the first image (upper arrow) or should I flip it as shown in the second image. The second image has a larger copper surface.
2.) There is a hole on the bushing flange (lower arrow). What position should this face and what is this used for?

It would help if someone an assembly manual. But I don't think it's possible to get one.

Image 1

Image 2

3.) On the auger drive wheel (yellow arrow) there are locking bolts. What side should these bolts be on?

I think logically the the brass bushing shown in pic 2 is the right one, It should face the pulley with the washer, It would prevent to move out. But if the impeller is close to the frame it could go inside, but like I said its easier to change by the outside, so pic2 seem the good way I think?
This message was modified Jun 6, 2007 by Denis

donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #5   Jun 7, 2007 1:20 am
you shouldnt need a air filter,i have 3 of them and none of them have a air filter,try a j19lm plug,thats what mine use,and i put 10w30 oil in it,hope this helps,looks really good.jag

nibbler

Reply #6   Jun 7, 2007 3:13 pm
Air filters are one of the little differences between snowblower engines and units designed for use during the summer. I'm not exactly sure why since I would think aspirating snow into the carburetor would be considered "a bad thing". Then again you probably don't use a snowblower in dusty conditions.
oakville

Reply #7   Jun 7, 2007 4:07 pm
an air filter on a snowblower would likely get wet during operation, and would then freeze solid after it's shut down. 
More_Power

Reply #8   Jul 9, 2007 7:15 pm
I finally had a chance to finish it. Check it out...

Moderator Denis

Reply #9   Jul 9, 2007 10:05 pm
WOW! what an awesomwe job buddy, this is really good work, the look is incredible, guess i'd be happy to see it live hehehehe. You may add original sticker if you can get one , well again bravo.
This message was modified Jul 9, 2007 by Denis

More_Power

Reply #10   Jul 9, 2007 11:09 pm
Thanks Denis.

I still have the original sticker but it won't adhere anymore. Only if I could find some double sided tape the size of the sticker I'd be all set. Maybe a craft store would have something like that, I don't know.

I wouldn't mind getting a new one, but I don't know if Toro sells stuff like that.
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #11   Jul 10, 2007 9:56 am
that looks very nice,i have 2 sided tape,or tell me what the stickers are/say,there is a guy in town here that reproduces stickers that are not avalible anymore,again,nice work.  jag

Replies: 2 - 11 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42