Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New snow blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
papadb10

New snow blower
Original Message   Mar 13, 2007 2:25 pm
I have to buy  a new snowblower this year. I finally gave up on my Ariens 524, just too small at 5 hp and 24in.  I have an L shaped house and the top of my drive is about 50 ft. by 35 ft. in front of the garage. My truck is always parked on the side opposite the garage, so I end up with a 50X35 ft. E shape and have to blow the snow about 40 ft. to the edge of the sloped drive that goes on down to the street, about 24X70. The ariens just wouldn't throw that far. My neighbor sometimes comes over with his 9hp X 30 in. Sears blower and he just goes in circles on the enclosed part gathering snow without blowing and then blows it out when he reaches the edge. A large scoop is a plus.  I got an email from a place in NH that will sell me a Toro 1028LXE for $1431.00 or a Husqvarna 10527 SBE for $975.00. The Husky has a 10.5 hp Tec. Engine and a 27 in. path. Toro is 10 hp land 28. Both have the same controls, remote chute, power steering, etc. Both prices are tax and shipping included. I am wondering if the Toro is worth the extra $475.00. I live in NE ohio and we get about 4-5 in falls 6-7 times per year and a couple 10-15 dumps a year. Appreciate the advice.

I

Replies: 3 - 12 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
RickJ

Re: New snow blower
Reply #3   Mar 14, 2007 12:07 pm
I looked at them both when I was shopping last year. Both nice machines, but I personally would go with a Toro over the Husky. It seemed better built to me. Husky is basically the same as a Sears Craftsman. I believe they are both made by the same company.

I know that the $475 is a lot of money, but if you consider how many years you're likely to own the machine, it works out. I personally think the Toro would last longer than the Husky, so you'd get that extra $475 out of it over the long term. Any blower does a good job in it's first few years. It's how well they perform 10-20 years from now that makes the difference.

Now remember, I don't own either one, and haven't used either one, so this is only my opinion. I don't want to insult any Husky owners out there.

My choice, after all my looking, was to buy a used Simplicity. It was built like a tank, within my budget, and I believe that I will be able to get a good 10-20 years out of the machine.

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
jubol

Reply #4   Mar 14, 2007 1:56 pm
There are big differences between Craftsman and Husky's.

Both built by Electrolux Corp, AYP!!

Comparing them as posted is wrong, It is like comparing a Chevy Cobalt to a Buick Limited, both built by GM!!

No comparison

Craftsman have 1/2 inch belts, plastic bushing, thinner sheet metal, and built to Craftsman's cheaper specs!!

Husky's have 5/8 inch belts, metal bushings and bearings, heavier sheet metal and built to Husky standards!!

Hopes this helps in your decision!!

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
jubol

Reply #5   Mar 14, 2007 3:29 pm
Any Husky snowblower owners out there, PM me with your regular Email address.

I will send you the "Husky Snowblower Maintenance Manual site".

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Snowmann

Reply #6   Mar 15, 2007 10:31 pm
jubol wrote:
I have a Husky 927STE blower, has the same controls as the Husky you are looking at.

I weighs in at about 270 pounds, so no lite weight!!

I have only used it twice in 2 years, due to lack of snow!!!

How ever when I did use it, loved the controls, threw wet heavy slushy snow about 20 feet!!!

Have not tried it on fluffy snow, but it should throw it at least 35 to 40 feet.

I would buy the Husky over again.

Invest the $475.00 and buy the Husky!!

It will do the job for you over many years!!!

Fred

The actual weight of the 927STE Husky is 237lbs. Their website reports that all of the units from their 924SBE up to 1330SBE-XP weigh 265lbs. This is inaccurate. The Huskys are very equivalent to the Toros weight-wise. The Toro has the better auger gear case, but the Husky has a higher volumetric throwing capacity. These units are close equivalents.
Paul7

Reply #7   Mar 20, 2007 2:28 am
I was in the same boat as you.  I have a 5hp Ariens with a 24 inch cut.   It wouldn't blow the snow far enough for me so I bought an 11.5 hp Ariens.  The extra hp made all the difference and now I have to lower the chute deflector so I don't blow snow in my neighbors driveway 40 feet away.  An option that I considered was to install a "Clarence Impeller Kit" to my 5hp Ariens.  The kit cost about $30 and claims to significantly improve the throwing distance of snowblowers. 
tsmagas

Reply #8   Dec 1, 2007 6:33 pm
yes all of toros snowblkowers are the best i personaly think the single stage re better but its up to you i know your like what are you is he thinking but the single stage acttualy pullt you and are beeter for hevear snow i noticed that with my 2000e and my power max
borat

Reply #9   Dec 2, 2007 10:36 am
I don't want to come across as a Toro basher but..............there is no way they can justify the ridiculous difference in cost.  Toro is riding on it's history and charging a heavy premium just for it's name.  I've also noticed that the newer Toros aren't nearly as stout as they once were.   Yet Toro still prices them as though they were.  That's the rub.  Other premium snow blower manufacturers have also begun to make economy models.  However, they have also priced them accordingly.  I own Husky products.  Personally, I think they are one of the best "underrated" values out there.  Buy the Husky.  It's probably as good, if not better than the newer Toros.  Why give  $475.00 to Toro?
dron

Reply #10   Dec 2, 2007 9:29 pm
Hi,

How come you are getting so cheap prices on snowblowers down there, in USA? Here in Canada, a MSRP for Toro 1028 is over 1800 CAD, and Husky 10527SBE is listed at over 1500 CAD. I am jelious.

Dron

edge

Reply #11   Dec 2, 2007 10:22 pm
Dron,

I just bought an Ariens ST926LE for $599 CAN at Home Depot.  Bought last year's model reduced from $1300.  Shop around...the deals are there...just not on Toro's.  I priced them as well and could not justify the cost.

swami

Reply #12   Dec 15, 2007 7:22 pm
Would love a copy of a maintenance manual.  Bought my neighbors blower from him. It's an 8 with the tecumseh...have no manual though................can't thank you enough...Looks like I'll be using it tomorrow.  
Replies: 3 - 12 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42