Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Experience needed: Choosing between Simplicity and Ariens - Professional models

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Funinthesnow

Experience needed: Choosing between Simplicity and Ariens - Professional models
Original Message   Mar 2, 2007 8:12 am
We live in a snow belt in northern Michigan.  We have a 300' driveway and a 46' x 102' ice rink.  I was all set to get the Ariens 1336DLE (13 hp, 36" pro series) until I started looking at the Simplicity P1338E (13 hp, 38" Signature Pro).  I liked the Simplicity because it handled and operated (in my opinion) better than the Ariens.  I also felt it was made just as good or better than the Ariens.  Simplicity is also $500 cheeper. 

Til the retailer showed me it I had never heard of Simplicity.  Based on what I have heard from neighbors and friends - Ariens was in my mind and that was the only way to go.  So . . .

Is there anything else I need to know about these two machines?  I am looking for performance, reliability and the $500 is also a smaller factor.  

Thanks for your input with your experience with these two brands. 

Replies: 4 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Funinthesnow

Re: Experience needed: Choosing between Simplicity and Ariens - Professional models
Reply #4   Mar 2, 2007 9:46 am
Thankyou all for the input. 

The Simplicity just felt better handling and it definately went through the heavy, deep snow better.  It was also more compact length-wise which seemed to make it better for handling.  

Any experience with the motorized chute?  Seems to work very fast and I can see how it would be great especially since I have alot of turns to make.  But, is it just another motorized part that can go wrong?  The Ariens has a 12V electric starter which is nice but the Simplicity started very easily.  My 12 year old can start it comfortably.

newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Re: Experience needed: Choosing between Simplicity and Ariens - Professional models
Reply #5   Mar 2, 2007 9:50 am
Ariens had a bulletin on a gas tank hose nipple connection on last year or the year before 926LE model which was resolved.

Ariens has a 3 year warranty for residential use. Simplicity?

Ariens has a differential drive which means both left and right turns have a tight radius. Ariens has a trigger to lock the differential if needed. Ariens has a cast iron auger case which I believe is stronger than aluminum.

Simplicity uses a left wheel trigger release which means only left turns will be tight and right turns will have a much larger radius.

Simplicity has box frame handle rails like a refrigerator carrier in case you think you will snap a handle rail which is highly unlikely.
tmac

Reply #6   Mar 2, 2007 10:15 am
I purchased a Simplicity 1338 last September. I have a 900 foot driveway with a constant 10 to 15 degree slope. I considered the Ariens 1336 but went with the Simplicity because I prefer Briggs & Stratton engines. The price was also a consideration, but a small one. I wanted the best machine.

I am very pleased with the Simplicity thus far. It handles wet, heavy snow with ease and never slips on the slope. It performs as well as my old Honda 928 (tracked) with respect to traction and is much better in heavy snow. The motorized shute and the hand warmers are welcome additions as well.

RickJ

Reply #7   Mar 2, 2007 11:16 am
Here's a review of a Simplicity 13 hp, 38" wide machine. Not sure if it's the same model as what you're looking at, but it looks close.

http://products.howstuffworks.com/simplicity-1390e-two-stage-snow-thrower-review.htm

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
nibbler

Reply #8   Mar 2, 2007 3:01 pm
The remote trigger will allow you to turn easily in either direction but only one way ( left) will be "powered". Its just toggling the release of the wheel lock on one side so that only the right wheel is driven when the traction control is engaged. The Ariens has a true differential and the trigger has to be held down to lock the differential and make it hard to turn. I've heard that most people hardly ever lock the differential because it does what they want in "normal" mode.

Both machines are considered top tier so I have a hunch either will do the job with little or no problems.

As far as features are concerned the Simplicity is more comparable to the Ariens 1332LE in that both use a remote axle release system. The Ariens DLE machines use a true differential.

Despite what the Consumers Reports article says about the "Power Boost" feature it does NOT sense how deep the snow is. Its actually a variable diameter pulley system. When the machine is under enough load the pulleys change diameter and you end up with a lower "gear" ratio that gives you more power but less speed. I've never used it so I don't know how useful it is. I simply either slow down or take less of a bite per swath.

In any case both machines are really nice. It sounds like you have tried both out and have a preferance for the Simplicity. If service and parts availablility are the same then I'd say go with your preference.
This message was modified Mar 2, 2007 by nibbler
Replies: 4 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42