Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Advice Needed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Advice Needed
Original Message   Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm
During past snowstorms I have occassionally done the neighbors driveways. Yesterday, just after the blizzard, I started doing my driveway. About ten minutes later one of my neighbors was standing in my driveway with his kid watching. I'm cool with that, just stay a safe distance away. But after five minutes I could tell from the look on his face that he wanted something. So I shut off the blower and asked him if I he wanted something. He asked me if he could borrow my snow blower. Now this guy has borrowed many tools from me in the past, but a screwdriver or electric drill doesn't cost anywhere near a snowblower. Instead of just saying "I don't loan out my snowblower", I felt to be a good neighbour I'd snowblow his driveway for him and told him so much.

Now my issue is that the guy made no attempt to do his driveway all day - as if he was expecting to ask me the whole time. He is not old (he's younger than me - mid 30's), not poor (makes twice what I make), and never been a great friend (not a bad guy, but not someone I'd call a friend). Truth be told, I probably would have done his driveway without his asking, but the way he asked, his lack of effort just really pissed me off.

The advice I'm seeking is either a) I'm way out of bounds here and should let people borrow my snowblower when they ask OR b) How do I not lend out the snowblower without pissing off the neighbor.

Thanks!

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
jubol

Re: Advice Needed
Reply #1   Feb 15, 2007 1:24 pm
I think of my snowblower as my wife!!

I would surely not lend my wife out!!!

I hope this answers your question!!!!

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #2   Feb 15, 2007 6:31 pm
I would say sure, give me the keys to your truck, I need to run some chores!

You have to learn to say No!

I remember one day years ago on a golf course, a total hacker on the course asked my friend if he could try his $500 driver. It was the loudest NOOOoo! you ever heard! The guy got the message in a microsecond. Some guys just have big cubes.

God forbid any damage or injury occured with your machine....his lawyer would be tapping you on the shoulder in 24 hours. I know this... as I was an insurance adjuster.
nibbler

Reply #3   Feb 15, 2007 9:30 pm
Depends on the loaner and the loanee.

I once asked to borrow a chainsaw from a guy I knew at work. We had perviously talked about saws and he knew I had long term experience. He still asked me to start it up while he watched and then describe how I would refuel the saw, cut down trees and then bucked them. I didn't feel insulted or anything other than  glad that he wanted to make sure I knew how to safely use his machine. I also returned it at least as clean as when I got it, with a full tank of gas and a sharp chain.

About two weeks after using his saw I went out and got a new one from the same dealer and the same manufacturer, it had been my final test run before buying a new saw.

On the other hand there are some people I wouldn't lend my saw too simply because I've seen their attitude when it comes to working around dangerous equipment and I don't want to be associated with an accident. Others I would.

If you don't feel right about lending it, for whatever reason, then don't. Its yours and you have final say. How they feel about your refusal is up to them and shouldn't influence your decision. If they are adults they will respect your decision, whatever it is.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42