Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > craftsman snowblower light

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tombraider

craftsman snowblower light
Original Message   Jan 8, 2007 7:57 am
I have a 1992 8/24 snowblower passed on to me this year.It works excellent;although we`ve only had minimal snow this year.Can anyone tell me how to hookup a light to this machine. I`ve been examining them on new one a stores, but i don`t know where the connections are made ,or if i need any special parts,or even it can be done.Any,all help is welcome thanx.Reid.
Replies: 6 - 15 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mattr

Re: craftsman snowblower light
Reply #6   Jan 11, 2007 11:40 am
I tried this, but the light came on for a few seconds and went dim like I blew it. Do you think I might need something like a battery in the series. If this is the case, have you hear of this. The motor is a B&S 9.5 powerbuilt, brand new on a Craftsman blower.
mech12

Reply #7   Jan 11, 2007 11:51 am
no battery needed,  you have an ac alternator.  which means at idle the light will be on but very dim. at high speed it will shine bright.
Snowmann

Reply #8   Jan 11, 2007 2:06 pm
mattr wrote:
I tried this, but the light came on for a few seconds and went dim like I blew it. Do you think I might need something like a battery in the series. If this is the case, have you hear of this. The motor is a B&S 9.5 powerbuilt, brand new on a Craftsman blower.

This unit likely has the 1.5A unregulated DC alternator. From what you describe, it's likely you have a bulb that is a much higher wattage. Try to get a bulb that fits into your headlight housing that uses 18W to 22W or so.
mech12

Reply #9   Jan 12, 2007 9:40 am
    snowman   the unit would not have a dc alternator on it unless it is a 12 volt  starting system.  dc current charges the battery. 
JasonnB

Reply #10   Dec 9, 2007 10:56 am

I'm looking at buying a 4-5 year old Craftsman snowblower. Model # is 536.887990, made 11/2002.

It has electric start, but you have to plug it into a outlet to start it. Could I add a light to this??

Here it is

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/501752638.html

This message was modified Dec 9, 2007 by JasonnB
Snowmann

Reply #11   Dec 9, 2007 1:33 pm
JasonnB wrote:
I'm looking at buying a 4-5 year old Craftsman snowblower. Model # is 88799

It has electric start, but you have to plug it into a outlet to start it. Could I add a light to this??

Here it is

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/501752638.html

You'll need to check to see if there is an alternator lead on the engine near the starter. Yellow wire with a bullet connector.

And to clarify, the power lead on the Tecumseh is AC 18W, Briggs is DC 1.5A on the more basic models. Both Briggs and Tecumseh have an available dual circuit with a 5A AC/3A DC on higher end models (handwarmers, etc.). Briggs also has a regulated DC system available.

PK
JasonnB

Reply #12   Dec 9, 2007 3:51 pm
Edit. Hey Snowman. I just picked it up. It's a Craftsman 536.887990, made 11/2002, with a Tecumseh engine.  I just went out and started it up, and tested that yellow wire with bullet connector with my Volt meter, and put it to AC volts. It read about 5 volts, but it was idling. I then put it to full throttle and it jumped to about 15 volts, hehe. So, it looks like that's the wire to use :)

1) Any recommendations on a light? Would love it nice bright light that doesn't cost a lot of $. :)

2) What's the highest watt I'd want to go with?

3) Also, where would you MOUNT it?

This message was modified Dec 9, 2007 by JasonnB
Gelid

Reply #13   Dec 9, 2007 7:04 pm
JasonnB wrote:
3) Also, where would you MOUNT it?

Although some models are sold with light(s) mounted on the crossbar between the handlebars I found that it's best to mount it somewhere on the engine cowl on the side opposite the chute, this to avoid having your vision hampered by light reflecting from the snow coming out of the chute and from the machine itself. Here is an example:

My previous snowblower had two lights mounted on the crossbar and when I bought this Honda I initially thought the light placement looked odd but this proved far superior, no reflections and it illuminates exactly where it matters: lower front. This is a factory installed light but it's mounted on a U-shaped bracket that should be easy to DIY. The lght can be tilted for adjustment.
This message was modified Dec 9, 2007 by Gelid

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
JasonnB

Reply #14   Feb 24, 2008 4:33 am
Snowman, or anyone else. Where can I get a light for this thing that will be the right one? Do I have enough power for two?
Snowbound

Reply #15   Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
For what it's worth:

If all else fails, a hands-free miner type light can be bought and strapped on your forehead.  They come with 10 LED lights and are very bright and lightweight.  I bought one and test wore it recently although my machine has a light.  It's especially useful when pre-starting, turning on the choke, etc. in the dark.  Before I start cleaning up the  EOD, I place the light on backwards and use it as a bright tail-light to alert street traffic.  It also has a flashing mode.  These lights can be bought at any discount store for less than ten bucks.

I also use it as a reading light when waiting for my wife in the dark at the train station.  Obviously it has several uses.  Purchased two of them at Ocean State Job Lot, a chain of discount stores in southern Mass. and Rhode Island, FYI.

Replies: 6 - 15 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42