Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens remote wheel lock

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ragmopp

Ariens remote wheel lock
Original Message   Dec 11, 2006 6:06 pm
Hi,

I have a continuing problem that maybe someone can help me with. The remote wheel lock works erratically. I squeeze and release the lever and nothing happens. I try it repeatedly and it sometimes works. This happens either with the left wheel is locked or not. Checking the manual it states not to put any load on the axle, and to turn the unit right or left to release the axle lock. I have tried this and still, at times, it refuses to either lock or unlock the left wheel.  I then went and tried adjusting the cable adjuster, as suggested by the manual, still no difference.
The last step was, according to the manual, to take it to a dealer. Which I did. When the dealer called me back he stated it was fixed. When I asked him what was wrong. He stated nothing. He just adjusted the cable again. When I picked it up I tried the unit and sure enough it still erratically would not free up the left wheel and then it would.  He stated he wasn't familiar with this arrangement for a wheel lock (was familiar with the remote differential though).  In fact he stated, ' Whenever Ariens has a product that works well, they change it'.  Not exactly what I wanted to hear and most likely not going back to him again.  Sooooo...anyone have any suggestions?
Replies: 4 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dsharp

Re: Ariens remote wheel lock
Reply #4   Dec 12, 2006 4:05 pm
Ditto what Snowman said.

Like yours, mine also came from the dealer working improperly. I took off the cover plate this afternoon and adjusted it to remove the slack and now it works just fine. It's easy to see how it all works with the cover off.

It looks to be pretty straightforward, and I'll think you'll get it working properly on your own. Good luck.

David

ragmopp

Reply #5   Dec 13, 2006 1:07 pm
Thank you both.  I went out and adjusted the cable as suggested by Snowman. I think I have got it.  I drove it around the yard and it now seems to work each time I pull the trigger.  I wonder if I was doing something wrong before. As I was plowing the driveway and had to make a turn, I just kept going and also squeezed the lever and made my turn. I am thinking that maybe that was putting a bind on the axle. So today I just came to a stop then squeezed the lever, that worked each time.  The true test will come when we get some snow (maybe this weekend). 

I noticed that when I went to pull the cover off that one of the screws was stripped and another missing.  It wasn't that way when I took it in.  That definately cinches it for me, I will NOT be going back to that dealer.

Thanks again gentlemen,
Mike Anderson
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #6   Dec 13, 2006 4:11 pm
Sorry to hear about the dealer stripping the screws. When I bought my first Ariens machine back in NJ back in 2003, I was cringing watching the inexperienced, South of the Border help, tilt the dealer's Arien's machines into the service position without putting a piece of cardboard down first. These inexperienced people also lifted my 315 pound snowblower up and banged the tailgate of my brand new truck while loading the machine onto my tailgate. Heaven knows why they did not use my new 1500 lb capacity landscaper's bi-fold ramp which was sitting in back of the truck. Cheap help is not always cheap.

I learned decades ago that the best service can be found in my own garage.
Replies: 4 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42