Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 826 LE or Ariens 926 LE ???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
syracuse

Toro 826 LE or Ariens 926 LE ???
Original Message   Dec 5, 2006 11:05 pm
I just stumbled across this web site tonight when I was searching for any reviews I could find on 2 snow blowers that I'm interested in.  I am excited to see all the knowledgeable people on this site who have such great advice.  Can anyone give me their opinion on these 2 snow blowers?

Before I came to this site I was steering towards the Toro 826 LE, as I have heard friends who love their Toro's.  After reading up on the comments here from owners on Ariens, I'm starting to wonder if they make a better machine.  I live in Syracuse, NY where we get record snowfall every season.  We often hit 200 inches of snow each winter.  I have a 2 car-wide driveway that can park 4 cars long.  I currently have an old John Deere (15 + years old).  It has given me so much trouble the last few years, I'm tired of putting a few hundred dollars into it each winter.

I'm looking for a reliable snow blower that will last a long time.  I'm guessing that both brands make good machines, but want to spend my money wisely.  I'm definately buying from a dealer (not Home Depot as I've had bad experiences with them in the past).  The price is close....the Toro is on sale right now for $1,050 and the Ariens is on sale for $999.  Any feedback on these 2 models would be greatly appreciated.  I'm going to purchase my new snowblower by next week, as the snow is flying here in Syracuse.  Thanks everyone!  Happy Holidays.

Jim

Replies: 5 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
syracuse

Re: Toro 826 LE or Ariens 926 LE ???
Reply #5   Dec 8, 2006 10:10 pm
Thanks again for the follow up note.  I've decided on the Toro snowblower.  One shop I visited here in Syracuse also said that the new Ariens were giving them problems as well.  They said the Toro products are tried and true - design hasn't changed much in the last several years, and they've been very reliable.  I'm putting my money on the Toro - going to have it delivered next week (when the temps are going to rise into the 50's in Syracuse, NY - go figure!).  Thanks for your insight mech12....much appreciated!
RickJ

Reply #6   Dec 9, 2006 12:12 am
I've been hearing a lot of bad things about Ariens lately. One dealer that I stopped at sells Ariens and Simplicity, and he told me to not waste my money on the Ariens. He said they weren't nearly as good as the Simplicity. My local small engine repair shop told me that he's had a lot of complaints from customers about their new Ariens.
So I'm curious, has Ariens quality declined in recent years? Or is this some kind of backlash over them selling through Home Depot? I really wonder how many of the problems that I've heard about are due to poor assembly from the Home Depot kids.

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #7   Dec 9, 2006 1:19 pm
Regarding the Arien's auger gearbox...it has completely been redesigned 3 years ago.
Ariens responded to the problems and designed a much stronger gear case. You can't compare the new to the old cases anymore. I would bet it is now one of the strongest aluminum gearcases on the market. Take a look at the size of the newer gear cases compared to other manufacturers.

Regarding HD setup. The reputation of any snowblower company rides on the person who assembles it. I have seen a properly assembled Ariens SB and the chute controls work perfect.

Recently I have seen improperly set up of LAST year's crank style Simplicities snowblowers at a local Agway and noted chutes jammed on 2 floor units. (A simple adjustment, although I wonder why after a year it still wasn't corrected!)

Overall, many of the problem (IMO) come from stores who do not want to pay for experienced help or hire people who do not care.
tavish

Reply #8   Dec 12, 2006 5:19 pm
I have the Toro 826 and its great. It  really clears the snow. The only problem I have is that if i'm not careful I will put the snow on the next driveway.  The neighbours cheapy blower can't send it back!!
MandMLawnmowers

Reply #9   Dec 13, 2006 5:19 pm
I am a retailer for both manufacturers (not snow equipment as I am in florida). The only thing you need to ask is where do you get it fixed when it breaks, and what are the usual costs involved. Both companies make fine products, but not all retailers will support these products equally. I you choose a retailer that has a huge amount of toro inventory then they will most likely support toro more than ariens, and vice versa.
Replies: 5 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42