Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > No Reverse. Help !

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Ponyboymc

No Reverse. Help !
Original Message   Nov 9, 2006 3:02 pm
I have Craftsman Lawnmower (42"  automatic ) appox. 5 years old.    It had been working just fine until last week, when the mower would not move in reverse, and I don't really think it's moving foward in it's fastest speed.    The gear "lever" moves smoothly between forward, N, and reverse, but the tractor will not move in reverse.       One thing I noticed is that I could pull back on the gear shift (in reverse) and I noticed a little movement...as if the shifter is just out of line.    I plan on taking a closer look at this this weekend (along with the manual)...   Should I be looking at a belt, or maybe some sort of linkage, or is the Trans. toast.    Any thoughts ?             thank you.               
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
AKAmajorxlr8n

Re: No Reverse. Help !
Reply #1   Nov 11, 2006 2:29 am
Well, since you didn't post a model number, I'll assume your transaxle is a hydro since you DID SAY 42" AUTOMATIC...

Things to check - proper: oil level, belt tension. Also, make sure the "freewheel" lever is in the operating (not freewheel) position - thats the lever you activate when you want to roll the tractor with the engine OFF.

Again, this is ASSUMING that you have a HYDROSTATIC transaxle...

Marty FORMERLY MAJORXLR8N

Ponyboymc

Re: No Reverse. Help !
Reply #2   Nov 13, 2006 7:07 am
Problem solved.      After having the time to actually look at the issue, I noticed a loose bolt where the gear shifter connects to the frame.  It was the bolt just to the left of the "adjustable bolt".    Anyways, after tightening the bolt both reverse and foward worked like a charm.

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42