Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Old Ariens died :( ... however, the new ones look cool! :)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Arthur

Old Ariens died :( ... however, the new ones look cool! :)
Original Message   Nov 4, 2006 5:09 pm
The machine I had been using is a 37 year old 7 hp Ariens. It's been burning oil for a while and has lost a lot of compression, and is overall, pretty tired. Sad to see it go. It earned a Medal of Honor in the Blizzard of '78.

Thinking of getting the 9526DLE professional. My EOD is on a blind corner and I think the turning is going to be important because I don't feel like hanging out on a slippery road with a hard to maneuver machine. My driveway is about 65 x 25 feet, with a 4' high stone wall on one side. Also have a long sidewalk. Live just west of Boston, and we can sometimes get lots of snow. Can I justify that machine given those stats? I found a place selling it for $1,599.00 which looks like 100 less than MSRP. The only thing else I could want would be a drink holder; I mean, HEATED HANDLES!

What does plowing cost these days anyway? I think I need to justify the extra $600 bucks or so. I'm pretty sure I'm getting it, but what do you think?

Thanks!

Arthur

Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Arthur

Re: Old Ariens died :( ... however, the new ones look cool! :)
Reply #3   Nov 5, 2006 1:48 pm
Ok, I'm feeling better. Thanks for the replies.
Indecisive

Re: Old Ariens died :( ... however, the new ones look cool! :)
Reply #4   Nov 7, 2006 10:58 pm
If it makes you feel better, I just bought an Ariens 9526DLE after looking seriously at the Sears 88790 which had a high Consumer Reports rating and which was just on sale a couple weeks ago for $850.  Bought it sight unseen from a local dealer that I found on the Ariens site.  They assembled and delivered it for free.  I have not started it yet, but I know that the Briggs OHV Intek engine is supposed to be a lot quieter.  The muffler on it is huge.  I also like the narrower width of 26", because when you add the width of the skids, you're over 28", and I was barely able to get it through the side garage door.  Also have some narrow sidewalks and other smaller areas.  I guess the biggest selling points for me were that no one ever says anything bad about Ariens, it comes with a 3 year warranty, and I plan to keep it a long time.  The Sears is made by MTD Manufacturing, and if you look at their web site, they also make Cub Cadet, Yard-Man, Troy-Bilt and Yard Machines.  I had an MTD mower once and wound up getting another one after a couple of years because it was just cheaply made.  One person in Abby's guide said they had a Craftsman snow blower for 2 years and it broke.  For me, it's worth the extra money not to have to worry about anything going wrong when I crash into those big piles of snow and ice that the snow plow invariably leaves me at the end of my driveway.  This puts a lot of strain on the machine and I just want it to work year in and year out.  I also want to get the job done fast.  The model that I bought also has the power steering so it will be easy to use.  To me the extra money will be worth the peace of mind and the ease of use.  Since I cannot lift this blower onto my porch any longer like the old one-stage I had, I also got a little electric Toro from Northwest Power Tool for $109 (free shipping).  Just enough to do the porch, steps and the deck, so I feel I'm all set.  Hope this helps.
Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42