Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower grease type?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BobSmith

Snowblower grease type?
Original Message   Jun 13, 2006 12:24 pm
Hi folks. I have an Ariens 7524 that I bought in Nov 05. I'm performing some maintenance on it and I had a question about grease. I'm not a grease guy so bear with me.

The manual recommends Stens Hi-temp grease for the zerk fittings and other grease points but I can't find it anywhere in Ontario. Canadian Tire sells a "#2 Lithium" grease in a small tube which is more appropriate for the amount of grease involved here and requires a smaller, cheaper grease gun.

Would it be OK to use the #2 Lithium on the Ariens or would I be better advised to get an official hi-temp grease?

Also, is "lithium" grease the standard grease type that is generally used for everyday stuff?

Thanks for any advice!

Bob
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
oakville

Re: Snowblower grease type?
Reply #1   Jun 14, 2006 10:14 am
You can probably grease it with anything - #2 lithium should be fine (it should say hi temp or hi pressure on the container)  Just make sure you lube it regularly - end of season, start of season, after 10 hours/1 month, etc.  I haven't found any dealers in the area that will carry the official grease.
nibbler

Reply #2   Jun 16, 2006 8:38 am
I don't think "Lithium" is in general duty grease, its an additive for specialty use.
solara

Reply #3   Jun 19, 2006 1:15 pm
i got the stens from a dealer. expensive. can probably get it via the internet.

after buying it i saw a grease in walmart which ingredients semmed very very close to the stens.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
lloydmst

Reply #4   Jul 27, 2006 4:35 pm
Any high temp grease will work, stens is just a after market parts source. So its just high temp grease with their name on it. Go buy a good high temp grease from anywhere.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42