Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buying new mower help

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Mainer

Live for Today tomorrow has not been promised to us.

Buying new mower help
Original Message   May 25, 2006 3:40 pm
 Hi to all.  I need some info to help me decide on a new mower. I'm a newbie to OPE  i moved to Maine 4 years ago from Boston and bought my first riding mower. A 10 year old White L12 that smokes to much to use now. I have 1700 Dollars to spend.  It would be of great help if someone could tell me the pros and cons of these options i have.                                                                                         

That are  #1 single or twin cylinder

#2 B/S Intek or kohler Engine

#3 Whats the difference between Hydrostatic drive and automatic drive.

#4 pedal or fender throttle

#5 pressure filtration or splash lube

Sorry for the long post. I know these questions must seem silly too most.     Any help would be great. Thanks John. D

I have 1 acre of land to mow that has a good slope to it. And i would also like to put a snow plow on this rider

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Re: Buying new mower help
Reply #1   May 26, 2006 2:58 pm
1. I have a general preference for 2 cylinders, but that's just me.

2. Recommend Briggs for 2 cylinder only. Single cylinder Briggs in recent years are susceptible to head gasket failures. Never owned a Kohler.

3. Can't say...never owned either.

4. No preference.

5. Pressure filtration if you can get it, but splash lube is okay.

$1700 may not be enough to get a tractor that is well suited for snow plowing, especially for the amount you get in Maine. You may be better off to consider a walk-behind snowblower.

AZ 

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

nibbler

Re: Buying new mower help
Reply #2   May 26, 2006 10:16 pm
Check out the review section of the site, you will get some hands on descriptions. You might consider getting a large walk behind, they're supposed to be fast and you get some exercise. I suspect that you get more bang for the buck because you aren't spending money on stuff to ride on. More power to the blades, less lost to the tranny, Ths one http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/reviews/150-0-1.html sounds pretty good..

I don't know what your land is like but the only experience I've had with plows is that you have to have an area to accumulate the pushed snow in. If you don't then the laneway tends to get smaller and shorter as the snow gets pushed to the end of the lane and the sides don't get cleared out quite as wide each time. Plows tend to be quicker but they don't move the snow as far away from the driveway as a snowblower does.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42