Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > So I made my own flywheel puller for my tecumseh...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
loudsubz

So I made my own flywheel puller for my tecumseh...
Original Message   May 14, 2006 8:10 pm
I had to remove the flywheel on my 3.5HP tecumseh mower, because the kill switch wasn't making contact. I read up about removing the flywheel and it seemed I really needed the tool. I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for one, because I would only be using it this one time most likely, and there was nobody I knew that had one that would lend it to me, so I tried my way with making one.

I didn't want to spend allot, so a thick steel plate was out of question. I ended up using

-(2) 2X4 pieces cut short just to stack on top each other

-(3) 1/4" hex bolts and washers

-(1) 5/16 hex bolt and washer/nut that acts as the main puller

I layered the 2X4 on top each other, drilled the holes accordingly for the 1/4" bolts to fit through, and the centre push bolt to go through. Threaded them into the 3 openings on the flywheel and started to turn the  main bolt with my ratchet. After a few turns I gave the flywheel a tap with my dead blow hammer and she popped off. I was surprised and excited as well. Fixed the switch with some Nu-Trol contact cleaner and she works great now.

Will post pics in a few.

Replies: 4 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Bacardi

Re: So I made my own flywheel puller for my tecumseh...
Reply #4   May 15, 2006 7:23 pm

loudsubz,

Its a simple tool, and it works. Well done.

mech12

Reply #5   May 17, 2006 11:54 am
   good job on the puller.  as i tell my son   way to use the gray matter.  the trick with the rubber mallet is to  pry up from underneath the flywheel with a prybar or screwdriver. with pressure applied from underneath  give a couple sharp blow around edge of flywheel.  you need to hit the part of flywheel where magnets are and counterweights are.
buttlint

Reply #6   May 17, 2006 6:31 pm
You really shouldnt be hitting magnets with hammers, either rubber or metal.
It can demagnatize them if you do.....and magnets shatter really easily and can cause injury.
If you are still want too smack a flywheel with a hammer, it is common too miss the target and knock off cooling fins.
Tecumseh also recommends using a knock off tool that screws onto the end of the crank. You back it off a couple of turns from tight and hit the knockoff while prying under the flywheel. (Thats the fastest method.)
But you have made a very fine tool, Subs, and I hope you got your machine back on the road.
mech12

Reply #7   May 18, 2006 9:18 am
  yes i know what tecumseh recommends,  ive been doing this for 6 years and have yet to break a flywheel.  how can you demagnetize a magnet on the flywheel.  i dont think this is possible.  when you go thru an x-ray machine at an airport does this demagnetize your credit cards????   
buttlint

Reply #8   May 18, 2006 11:31 am
Because Bill Nye the Science Guy said so. If you cant trust Bill....then who can you trust?

Experiment: Try hitting your credit card with a hammer and then putting it into an ATM.

Please post your results.

mech12

Reply #9   May 18, 2006 5:09 pm
   good stuff buttlint  
Replies: 4 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42