Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > opinions wanted....

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jogo

opinions wanted....
Original Message   Apr 16, 2006 8:28 pm
I have an excell pressure washer with honda engine. winterized it each year (2) that I've owned it. Started her up yesterday and water is spraying out of the area where copper fitting is for the input hose. diagram below.  Notice two otlet openings on left. One of them(top left) is where a copper fitting goes. The copper fitting is a recepticle for the water feed(hose). The pump appears to be some sort of cast aluminium. There is a hairline crack from the opening  (where the copper fitting goes) that goes towards the center for about an inch or so. Once it is powered up and the pressure builds the water escapes from that crack and sprays out causing massive pressure loss.  I am thinking of getting a new pump.

Now my question   since this appears to be some sort of cast aluminium, can the crack be welded? If not do I have to match it with same pump or can I get a better one?

The model # is excell EXHA2425. It is made by Devilbiss. They show the the original pump has been rplced from a Tawainese made to American made company. The price is $199.00. Any ideas guys?? Thanks!

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jogo

Re: opinions wanted....
Reply #5   Apr 16, 2006 10:18 pm
From what I have found...the pump must have been crap, since anyone selling replacement pump makes a point to indicate the replacement pump is new and improved over the original.  I have learned if I do buy another it will be a brass pump. That won't crack like this alloy junk.

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Ariens 11528
racingpast

A parts replacer is not a mechanic!

A good mechanic is a good find indeed!

Purchase from those who service what they sell & actually know what they are doing.

Reply #6   Apr 17, 2006 9:07 am
You may be better off to spring for an extra $100.00 to $150.00 & buy a new pressure washer of the same model. You can use the old one for parts. I wouldn't put $200.00+ in this machine, as any additional expense would come close to exceeding the cost of a new machine.
sammyk

Reply #7   Apr 19, 2006 3:38 pm
Please don't take this as an insult, since it appears that you have been around these forums for quite some time and probably know what you're doing.  But, did you winterize the pump as well, and with what?
jogo

Reply #8   Apr 19, 2006 3:56 pm
I did mention in my post that yes it was winterized. I winterized it with A product sold along side this unit at HD. Not sure off hand, but I do believe it was labeled with the EXCELL name on the can. Seems like a hairline crack from overtight brass fitting input to the alloy pump. Over time it worked its way back beyond the brass fitting (hose input). No leak till then due to good tape and washer. Once this crack went beyond fitting, it started spraying. I will bring it to a local welding place. Right now I don't have any round to its. BUT when I do get  a "round to it", I will let all know how it worked.

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Ariens 11528
dknightd

Reply #9   Apr 23, 2006 3:11 pm
A hairline crack on the intake should not effect the output pressure (unless it leaks so bad
it is starving the pump).
A hairline crack that first appears in the spring suggests that maybe water froze in the pump.
If freezing water caused the crack then likely the pump is shot.
You might try JB weld. It should hold up to typical input pressures. Cost you $5 to try.
If the input hairline crack is the ONLY problem with the pump it is worth
getting an estimate for welding (welding cast alum is tricky).
Does the leak get worse when you start the unit? If so then the pump is
trying to pressurize the input and is probably shot. The cheap pumps used
in these units are not worth rebuilding, time to buy a new one.
I suspect you are looking at getting either a new pump, or, a new machine.
Depending on how heavily used your engine is it might be worth getting a new
pump. Likely that unit has one of the cheaper Honda engines, and if you used
the unit alot it might be getting tired as well. The HD, $500 and under units
are fine for home use, but will not stand up to comercial use. If you use
this unit almost daily then it might be a good time to cut your losses and
get a professional quality unit.

Hey Marshall - are you still here?
nibbler

Reply #10   Apr 24, 2006 7:45 am
Something to be aware of with the "winterizing" products. They are all esssentially anitfreeze that is rated to be good to a certain, specified temperature. I.E. -40C (  -40F). If you happen to store the unit somewhere where the temperature goes below the rating then you have a frozen pump which is not a good thing. If you add into the mix that dilution of the antfreeze solution with regular water degrades its performance, you could have a problem at even warmer temperatures if you don't purge the pump properly.

The best solution is to pack up the pressure washer and take it to Australia with you for the entire winter :-).
Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42