Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > '92 Ariens 724 - only one wheel gets power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jdutton

'92 Ariens 724 - only one wheel gets power
Original Message   Mar 13, 2006 11:35 pm
While I was snowblowing today, I suddenly realized that only one wheel is getting power.  The other spins freely.  Apparently something is broken.  Might it be something simple like a sheer pin, or am I looking at a more expensive repair?

Thanks,

Jeff

Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Garandman

Re: '92 Ariens 724 - only one wheel gets power
Reply #7   Mar 17, 2006 3:13 pm
Most of the old Ariens had both wheels locked to the axle with a Woodruff Key - a half-moon shaped piece of metal that locked the wheel hub to the axle but allowed it to slide out if necessary. they fit into semi-circular notches in the axle. It could have fallen out or become dislodged.

You can buy a replacement at the dealer for about $1.50 or buy an unplated one at Home Depot for about $0.50.

If yours is unlockable, you'll likely have a knob on the wheel that looks like the one in this picture near the tire stem.

jdutton

Re: '92 Ariens 724 - Problem fixed
Reply #8   Mar 18, 2006 1:36 pm
As it turns out, my wheels are not unlockable, and are held onto the axle by a simple nut and bolt.  One of the bolts had rusted off.  I replaced it.  Checked the other side and it is in good shape.  I bought an extra nut and bolt "just in case".

Thanks for all the ideas.

Jeff

Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42