Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What Lawnmower would you recommend?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MikeSnow

What Lawnmower would you recommend?
Original Message   Mar 11, 2006 11:11 am
Hi Guys,

The warmer weather and lack of snow fall here in Massachusetts has gotten me to think about spring and summer, and more specifically, replacing my old Craftsman Lawnmower.  I have hated my 6.5hp Craftsman 22" rear discharge seld propelled lawnmower since I bought it 8 years ago, and regret putting my old Snapper out to pasture.  So this year I am buying a new lawnmower, what brand and type would you suggest.  I have a quarter acre house lot to mow, so not a lot, but I want a machine that will last and start without major issues each time.  I don't care about a key start, and tend to bag my clippings and haul them to the dump.

Any advice is apprecited.

Thanks,

Mike

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
JohnEDavies

Re: What Lawnmower would you recommend?
Reply #1   Mar 11, 2006 8:11 pm
I think before anyone can really help, you need to give us a price ceiling. There are some mighty fine mowers out there - some will cost you north of US$800. What kind of bufget are you working under?

John Davies
Spokane WA
MikeSnow

Reply #2   Mar 12, 2006 12:18 am
I would like to keep the price on my new mower under $500 if possible, if that helps.
JohnEDavies

Reply #3   Mar 12, 2006 11:18 am
I really like the Honda mowers - they are very well engineered and you can pick a model that fits within your price range. I have a top-of-the line variable speed HRX plastic-deck mower which is simply wonderful, but it is way more than you want to pay. Any of the Hondas will be well designed, reliable, smooth running and quiet. Before you plunk down the cash for any other brand, test drive a Honda!

I suggest that you check out the entry level line. Either the 3 speed or variable speed models would be great. For 1/4 acre, steer clear of single speed. The rear bagging systemn works well, so don't get a side bagger, for maneuverability reasons.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=hrr216tda

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=hrr216vxa

Don't expect too much of a discount - these mowers are usually not marked down significantly, though Home Depot does carry some models. I was able to get my HRX at a  Spring Sale at my local Honda Power Equipment dealer, including 2 years free tuneups,  for only $20 more than a HD "in the box" price.

I worte a review of my HRX here - but don't expect the lower end mowers to match its features....

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/reviews/160-0-1.html

John Davies
Spokane WA
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42