Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > The first oil change on my Ariens 11528le

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MikeSnow

The first oil change on my Ariens 11528le
Original Message   Feb 18, 2006 3:27 pm
After last weekends snow storm in which my new Ariens 11528le performed flawlessly, I am now thinking about doing the breakin oil change, and was wondering should I use a regular or synthetic oil?  What would a synthetic do for me?  I am in the habit of changing the oil in my snowblower and running her dry at the end of each season, and have been doing so since I was 10yrs old.

Any advice would be appreciated, because I am not familiar with synthetic oils, but seem to see them mentioned her a lot.

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: The first oil change on my Ariens 11528le
Reply #1   Feb 18, 2006 3:36 pm
I went with 0W-30 Mobil 1 for my Ariens after the initial 2 hours. I don't know the stats in regards to synthetic vs. regular oils, but synthetics supposedly are better over the long haul for severe conditions. I use regular oil in my other OPEs and just make sure I change it according to the manual, especially the tillers. 

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Garandman

Reply #2   Feb 18, 2006 3:47 pm
Short answer is that synthetic has a wider temperature range and doesn't thicken as much as some dino oils so the machine may be easier to start in extreme cold.

Service recommendations are online at: http://www.tecumsehpower.com/CustomerService/BSI.pdf
toolpig

Reply #3   Feb 18, 2006 5:03 pm
I've always used a semi synthetic (synthetic blend) 5w30 in my snowthrowers.  I haven't had any troubles with my other machines as far as engines go.

Some say that using synthetics will cause oil consumption but I haven't seen this so far.

Ariens 11528 snowthrower, Craftsman 18hp lawn tractor, Craftsman 5hp lawn mower, Craftsman 4.25hp pressure washer, Stihl BG55 leaf blower and vac, Stihl SH26 string trimmer, Husqvarna 365 special Chainsaw, Husqvarna 254XP chainsaw.
JohnEDavies

Reply #4   Feb 19, 2006 11:22 am
My feeling is that a synthetic is a total waste of money for a thrower that is stored in a relatively warm garage. The small difference in flow characteristics at 35 degrees of a synthetic vs a regular dyno oil isn't worth the added expense. Once running and warm, a synthetic doesn't provide much extra protection in these mildly stressed engines.

OTH, a machine that is a cold-soaked 15 degrees at startup would definitely benefit from a synthetic oil.

John Davies
Spokane WA
nibbler

Reply #5   Feb 19, 2006 6:07 pm
Check your owner's manual. The one for my B&S  Snow Intek says to use synthetic. I also have a habit of leaving the beast outside during the winter, under a cover. Sometimes in -30-40C weather.
( -40C = -40F = friggin cold or in Canadian "Crispy Eh!" ) so the previous comment abotut using synthetic in "adverse" conditions applies.

If you go here

http://www.ariens.com/customer_service/order_owners_manuals/

you can download or order a manual.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42