Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What do you recommend spraying the chute and auger with?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MikeSnow

What do you recommend spraying the chute and auger with?
Original Message   Jan 30, 2006 10:45 am
What do you recommend spraying the chute and auger with?  I have seen Home Depot sells a product for it that looks like and feels like the silicone spray(wet tire) I spray on my car tires.  I have also heard about waxing them, spraying them with wd 40, and spraying them with Pam cooking spray.

What has worked for you guys, and what hasn't?

I am sure my new blower purchase guarantees us no more snow up here, but I can look forward to next year.

Replies: 5 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
geneb

Re: What do you recommend spraying the chute and auger with?
Reply #5   Feb 16, 2006 9:12 pm
I have been using spray furniture polish on an older Simplicity and it works pretty well. Best to do before you blow and with dry equipment. Get some cheap cans at the market, make sure they are warm and spray the whole schmere. Let dry, repeat. Several times at least. Seems to last quite a bit longer than Silicon.
power

Reply #6   Mar 13, 2006 4:40 am
Silicone!!! Some guys use fluid film.
Snowbound

Reply #7   Mar 13, 2006 10:21 am
wally wrote:
The properties of adhesion, solubility, abraidability and cost all come into play.  All the products previously mentioned address  those properties - and to varying degrees - and all probably work adequately.   I prefer silicone spray since I just happen to have it around, it's relatively inexpensive - and it both adhers well and residues remain, even in the very wet environment.  Waxes tend to scrap off more quickly and require repeated application - although some really good ski sprays reduce friction at subzero temperatures better than anything else.  So, as the expression goes...you choose your poison!!!

*(:>)*   

Back in the good old days when shovels were metal, snow throwers were seen only at airports and silicone spray didn't exist, car wax was used on shovels.  It was VERY effective but didn't last very long.  It's painful lack of staying quality would suddenly show itself when you tried to toss that first shovelfull of damp/wet snow, after the third storm of the season, and it stuck, pulling at your arm and your shoulder socket.  Not good for the throwing arm before baseball season.

SnowPro

Reply #8   Mar 13, 2006 8:14 pm
power wrote:
Silicone!!! Some guys use fluid film.

Wow!

I would say that if you are rich enough to use Fluid Film to coat the shoot, then maybe you could afford a service and stay warm inside.  That stuff, while great, is quite expensive.

Ken

Replies: 5 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42