Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help me help my neighbor with his Ariens ST8 24

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
steveinct

Help me help my neighbor with his Ariens ST8 24
Original Message   Feb 12, 2006 6:16 pm
My neighbor, an old timer, got an Ariens ST8 24 from a fella he knows up in Maine. The motor runs fine but today during the big storm he was doing his driveway and it stopped throwing snow. We took it in the garage and observed the following. The auger turn and it pulls in the snow, but the impeller has no power. When it's off, the impeller just spins freely. Is there a shear pin or something or do we need to take the gearcase apart or???

Thanks

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Garandman

Re: Help me help my neighbor with his Ariens ST8 24
Reply #1   Feb 12, 2006 7:32 pm
It sounds like a worn drive belt for the auger assembly, or an adjustment in the linkage from the handle. you can remove the plastic cover for the belts with two screws. Removing two large bolts on either side allows the blower assembly to "book" forward so you can change the belts. It's easy.

The right handle engages the idler for the auger drive via a linkage to an idler. If you hold down first the right handle, then then the left, the left handle will keep the auger engaged without having to hold it down with the right hand.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #2   Feb 12, 2006 8:18 pm
There are steel roll pins that secure the impeller to the shaft. Find the size & grab some - Lowes & Home Depot carry them. Since the augers turn, I think the belt is ok...

Marty

steveinct

Reply #3   Feb 12, 2006 8:31 pm
Thanks so much! I'll check out all your pieces of advice

Steve

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42