Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Yard Machines 10.5 HP Snow Thrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
matt0309

Yard Machines 10.5 HP Snow Thrower
Original Message   Feb 7, 2006 2:46 pm
Hello everyone.  New to the group, and I wanted to get your opinion on the snow blower mentioned about (Yard Machines 10.5 HP, 28" clearing width).

I have paid for one of these after seeing the deal that Home Depot had going on.  However, I have not taken delivery yet (because I have nowhere to put it until I close on my house next week).  Has anyone used one of these, and if so, would you recommend getting one?  Are there any reliability questions with this machine?  I've read that that some people question the build quality and use of plastic parts.

I know that there are a lot of Ariens fans on the board, and Home Depot has dropped those prices significantly as well, but is the quality significantly better to justify the higher price?  Please note that this won't be used as a money maker, but just by me, since I'm moving to an area with a significant snow fall.  I do have some 20% off coupons for Home Depot which are making me want to upgrade to the Ariens, but wanted to get some opinions first. 

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks for reading.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
matt0309

Re: Yard Machines 10.5 HP Snow Thrower
Reply #3   Feb 7, 2006 4:40 pm
Jubol:
 - I live in Colorado (moving to the mountains with more snow)

Solara:
 - I just called Home Depot, and they actually dropped the price on both snow blowers.  The Ariens will end up being cheaper than what I originally paid for the Yard Machines (no brainer there)

- I expect to own it for as long as it runs (or until I move somewhere without snow, which won't happen anytime soon)

- I buy quality all the way

- Yes, the Yard Machine has turning helpers (wheel locks on each side).  Don't know if this is similar to the Ariens

Like I said, I called Home Depot and they've dropped their prices yet again.  I also won a 20% off coupon on Ebay.  Those two combined make the Ariens cheaper than what I was willing to spend on the Yard Machine, so I'll probably stop by tonight and cancel one and order the other, provided that it's of better quality with features similar to what drew me to the Yard Machine originally.  Feel free to provide any more insight that you see fit.  Thanks!
jubol

Reply #4   Feb 7, 2006 4:49 pm
Matt,

Buy the Ariens!!!

MTD' machine are great where I am, but not for you!!!

Fred 

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #5   Feb 7, 2006 5:31 pm
Absolutely go with the Ariens.

You also get a 3 year warranty with your all metal machine. I own 2 machines. I never had a problem with either. Just make sure you get one with a properly assembled chute or better yet, get one in the box and assemble it correctly yourself which is what I would do.

Garandman

Reply #6   Feb 8, 2006 11:08 am
Friends don't let friends buy MTD snow throwers......

Someone posted on another board that some Home Depots now have some Ariens at 50% off! Like an 11528LE for less than $700.
solara

Reply #7   Feb 8, 2006 1:55 pm
No brainer is right. Let us know what you end up with. Good luck.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #8   Feb 8, 2006 7:29 pm
I happened to see a Yard Machine on display today and was not impressed. The skids seemed to be attached with machine screws rather than bolts. Perhaps I missed them, but there didn't appear to be any grease fittings on the auger shafts. I'd be leery of buying one.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #9   Feb 9, 2006 1:46 am
Watch out with those HD specials. If you buy now the price is right except, you better check it out before you run it. I was in a HD today and watched two guys unpacking and setting up blower after blower without checking any of the critical adjustments. I doubt you'll be able to get anything still in the box because they want to clear it all out. Buy it,take it home and go through the manual with a fine tooth comb and you'll be just fine. Mine came out of the box and was quite out of adjustment but the manual was very clear. Now it runs like a charm but no SNOW. Good luck 

matt0309

Reply #10   Feb 9, 2006 2:49 pm
Well I went to Home Depot last night to "return" the Yard Machine and purchase the Ariens 11528LE.  The sale price for the Ariens was $649, with an additional 20% off (thanks to whoever mentioned going on ebay to buy some coupons!), plus tax...the total came out to about $550!

Also, I did get one that was still in the box.  However, the HD salesman was telling me that there was a factory issued repair to be done on the fuel line.  They indicated that they could do the work, but I thought I'd ask here first (excuse my ignorance, but I don't know the extent of the work...he explained it as gluing a part to the fuel line).

Thanks for the tips guys.  Now I just have to wait for the next big snow storm!
buttlint

Reply #11   Feb 9, 2006 5:00 pm
However, the HD salesman was telling me that there was a factory issued repair to be done on the fuel line.  They indicated that they could do the work, but I thought I'd ask here first (excuse my ignorance, but I don't know the extent of the work...he explained it as gluing a part to the fuel line).

The HD salesman is incorrect. The work has too be done by an authorized Tecumseh service dealer.
solara

Reply #12   Feb 9, 2006 6:06 pm
Buttlint is the recall on the 11528 or the 9hp?  does it apply to last yrs 11528 also?

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Replies: 3 - 12 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42