Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Bent auger shaft on Craftsman Snowthrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jdavidson

Bent auger shaft on Craftsman Snowthrower
Original Message   Jan 12, 2005 12:11 pm
Hoping someone out there might have an auger shaft assembly they could sell me for a 2 stage 5hp / 22" width craftsman snowthrower. Model 536.918200 from the late 70's - early 80's. Originally made by Western Tool & Stamping for Sears.   It didn't do very well after sucking up a piece of concrete on the neighbor's sidewalk. I've looked at sears.com and they do have it listed, but the parts I need are no longer available. Thanks for any help!

Jon Davidson

Replies: 9 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
patelmn

Re: Bent auger shaft on Craftsman Snowthrower
Reply #9   Jan 30, 2006 10:52 am
Hello all,

I have Craftsman 9 HP, 29" snowthrower. Recently, its Left Hand side Auger blade broke.
    Its welding came off where it attaches to the sleeve that slides over the shaft.

I have ordered the LH Auger but now the problem is I can't get the Auger off. I removed
the 3 bolts on each side of the housing and the whole auger assembly was supposed
to come forward, so I can slide the auger off, but the if does not come forward. I could not
figure out if there is anything else I need to do.

Please help....I know Jon Davidson here successfully took one side off, could you please
help me here?

Thanks,
Manish.
spottedpony

Reply #10   Jan 30, 2006 1:43 pm
jdavidson wrote:
Hoping someone out there might have an auger shaft assembly they could sell me for a 2 stage 5hp / 22" width craftsman snowthrower. Model 536.918200 from the late 70's - early 80's. Originally made by Western Tool & Stamping for Sears.   It didn't do very well after sucking up a piece of concrete on the neighbor's sidewalk. I've looked at sears.com and they do have it listed, but the parts I need are no longer available. Thanks for any help!

Jon Davidson

If its mainly a bent shaft thats the problem after you get it disassembled, perhaps it would be easier to purchase a piece of 1 inch shatt & fabricate what you need. Keyways are easily & inexpensivly cut by a competant machine  shop  & any pins or bolt holes can be reproduced easily with a little careful measurement & time at a drill press. This might be more expedient than trying to straighten the existing shaft, & the possibility of getting it as straight as remanufacturing one is nigh well impossible, as well as the time & cost it could take to straighten it sufficiently. another factor in having a not true shaft is the excess wear and pressure on gears, bearings etc, from running out of true.
What ever method turns out to work the best for you, dont forget a coat of anti sieze on shafts/sleeves, & any fasteners. it'll sure help disassembly time should the need arrise again.
Garandman

Reply #11   Jan 30, 2006 3:39 pm
There are some augers for sale on eBay, you might get lucky.

To get the rakes off the auger shaft of  a couple of old Ariens machines, I had to slit them as shown, and heat them in a 40 ton hydraulic press to get them off.

I covered the slit with epoxy and painted over it to keep water out, and you can barely tell. Painful at the time but I now have a spare auger assembly as a result: once I replace the seals...

Replies: 9 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42