Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > My Brand New Ariens 11528LE died during its first snow storm

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MikeSnow

My Brand New Ariens 11528LE died during its first snow storm
Original Message   Jan 24, 2006 6:04 pm
I purchased an Ariens 11528LE at Home Depot as you may remember, and basically had to resetup the machine, because it was not assembled correctly.  After spending hours getting the chute controls to work perfectly, and waxing her, I got the chance to run her in her first snow storm and she died.  She ran fine for about 20 minutes, started sounding very rough, before I could shut her down I heard a loud bang, after which oil came flowing from the block like a river.  After talking to my local service guy, who happens to live in the neighborhood, she was diagnosed with a blown piston, a cracked block, and pronounced dead.  I returned her to Home Depot, and they were not happy about taking her back, even though it had been less than 30 days.

I saw that blowers are now on sale there for 20% off at HD.  I think I overbought with the 11.5hp.

Anyone have experience with the 7 or 9 hp model Ariens?  My drive way is single car width 75feet long opening to double wide in front of my garage, and I have 100ft of sidewalk.  Could I get by with a 7hp living just north of Boston near the water?  I used to own a Ariens 824 and loved that machine.

Anyone have any experience with the 7hp Ariens with heavy wet snow?

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies: 19 - 28 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
plugger

Re: My Brand New Ariens 11528LE died during its first snow storm
Reply #19   Jan 26, 2006 6:04 pm
When deciding between the 926LE and 926LE Pro try to frame it as a long term buy.  5 years from now you'll have forgoten the difference in price but will still appreciate the extra features.

Chevy  K1500,
Fisher 760LD,
Ariens 926LE Pro
oakville

Reply #20   Jan 26, 2006 7:38 pm
yeah, gotta love the pro...  even the cast iron gearbox looks manly, and the differential - that just oozes testosterone.
plugger

Reply #21   Jan 26, 2006 8:27 pm
oakville wrote:
yeah, gotta love the pro...  even the cast iron gearbox looks manly, and the differential - that just oozes testosterone.

OK.  Kind of strange reasons to buy a snowblower but who am I to judge?  Are your sure about the testosterone?  I checked the manual and didn't see any lubricant specification for the differential. 

Chevy  K1500,
Fisher 760LD,
Ariens 926LE Pro
BrorJace

Reply #22   Jan 31, 2006 10:28 pm
We bought one of these (11528 DLE) early last season.

It saw about  8 hours of use last year (our aging John Deere 1032 is still kickin').

It had some problems, though.  The auger engagement had to be tightened up and the pullys on the engine's shaft had to be better aligned.  To me, these were classic examples of slipshod set-up by the good folks at Home Despot.

I changed the engine oil  after about 2 hours, then again at the end of the season along with the gear oil.  I also ran a little top-oil (MMO & some 2-stroke oil) in the gas for the first 2-3 hours.

It's seen  another 3 hours or so this year so far.  I'll change the oil at the end of the season again, regardless of the total numbers of hours.

Runs great and throws powder 40'+ ... but no way I'd ever get the engine started by hand.  NEED that electric starter.

--- [b]Bror Jace[/b]
EGreen

Reply #23   Feb 1, 2006 6:33 am
you'll love the 926LE, its not to big, but not small, and is surprisingly manuverable even with the wheels locked.

Good luck and enjoy the new blower, its a shame that you got screwed with that first one, I hope this one, assembeled and such by you, will run like a dream.

Rex1

Reply #24   Jan 22, 2011 3:49 pm
My 2006 wasn't that bad, but it had problems too.  Several trips and several hundred $$$ to a dealer made this an even worse bargain.  It won't throw wet snow period.  All kinds of dealer adjustments haven't worked.  Even the headlight blew out.  When the snow is wet and heavy I drag out my old 10 HP 32" simplicity to get the job done.  A heavy bear to handle but at least it gets the job done.  At times the Ariens chute will not hold position too.  Wet snow  simply clogs the Ariens 1128 LE impeller and chute and smells like rubber burning (most likely the belt overheating if I keep pressing down on the control hoping to get at least chunks of wet snow to fall out).  It also doesn't have a slow enough speed for the machine to process heavy wet snow.  All adjustment failed to make a slow enough speed.  Is this a design flaw?  It seems to me that this machine is improperly designed to process heavy wet snow, while the simplicity 10 HP 32" seems to handle it (also has super slow speed setting-maybe that helps). 
trouts2

Reply #25   Jan 22, 2011 6:28 pm
   You did not give the factory number so guessing it's an Tecumseh 11.5 OHV 28 with 6 inch wide tires.  That's a great machine.  Slush is very subjective but that machine should handle just about anything.   The factory speed is probably around .9 MPH for that but you've set it lower.  With working the clutch it should be able to do a good job. 

Maybe it was out of adjustment and your keeping it engaged when clogged and burning the belt has made things worse.  It should do much better and is capable of much better.    If I have the model right your chute problem is probably just a nut tightening under the gear at the back of the chute below the spring.  Maybe you have a dealer problem rather than an Ariens problem.   

>>All adjustment failed to make a slow enough speed.  Is this a design flaw?

The speed from the factory may be too fast.  Maybe your dealer setup was on the high side.  Seems like you adjusted it as low as possible.  To get those super slow your have to feather the clutch or stop and go, jerking along. It's not so much an Ariens design flaw as the limits of a friction drive.  Most of the time first is ok.  At times the machine has to be "worked" to get to go slow.  You auger belt is probably screwed up and not adjusted so doing poorly in sluch.  That machine should be capable of matching the Simplicity.  If it can't something is out of wack and not the fault of the design.  You spent several hundered bucks at a dealer and your chute flops around.  If you talked with them and told them the things you listed in the post and they could not correct things especially with all that money you need another dealer.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2011 by trouts2
JohnWI

Reply #26   Jan 22, 2011 7:20 pm
Also, after taking the first, full bucket width, pass, you can take smaller bites which will allow the impeller to process a little less snow/slush.  That should allow the machine to keep up with the amount of snow that it can toss out.

I was hoping to adjust my speed down a bit as well.  When I looked at the friction disk being nearly centered on the drive wheel I realize it probably wasn't possible.

I think that another interesting way would be to change the impeller gear to spin a bit faster compared to the auger.  Doubt it can be done easily, though.

2011 Ariens Pro 28; Toro 210R, older Powerlite and a generic single stage w/ Tec. engine.

God Bless America!

PartsMan

Reply #27   Jan 28, 2011 11:08 pm
If any of you are looking for aftermarket parts for your snowblowers, there is a site with tons of parts at this address

www.c-equipment.com
This message was modified Jan 28, 2011 by PartsMan
Bill_H

Reply #28   Jan 28, 2011 11:45 pm
That wouldn't happen to be your site by any chance, would it? I notice you registered today and have 4 posts, every one of them is a plug for it.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 19 - 28 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42