Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > My Brand New Ariens 11528LE died during its first snow storm

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MikeSnow

My Brand New Ariens 11528LE died during its first snow storm
Original Message   Jan 24, 2006 6:04 pm
I purchased an Ariens 11528LE at Home Depot as you may remember, and basically had to resetup the machine, because it was not assembled correctly.  After spending hours getting the chute controls to work perfectly, and waxing her, I got the chance to run her in her first snow storm and she died.  She ran fine for about 20 minutes, started sounding very rough, before I could shut her down I heard a loud bang, after which oil came flowing from the block like a river.  After talking to my local service guy, who happens to live in the neighborhood, she was diagnosed with a blown piston, a cracked block, and pronounced dead.  I returned her to Home Depot, and they were not happy about taking her back, even though it had been less than 30 days.

I saw that blowers are now on sale there for 20% off at HD.  I think I overbought with the 11.5hp.

Anyone have experience with the 7 or 9 hp model Ariens?  My drive way is single car width 75feet long opening to double wide in front of my garage, and I have 100ft of sidewalk.  Could I get by with a 7hp living just north of Boston near the water?  I used to own a Ariens 824 and loved that machine.

Anyone have any experience with the 7hp Ariens with heavy wet snow?

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
EGreen

Re: My Brand New Ariens 11528LE died during its first snow storm
Reply #9   Jan 26, 2006 1:19 am
JohnEDavies wrote:
Here's a fix for that safety issue. Caution - this topic has generated considerable comment on this forum - use at your own risk!

http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/page5.htm

John Davies
Spokane WA

looks like a good fabrication, i would hold off until the warranty is over,  might impede the exhuast from coming out full flow possible,you might consider add a top so it blows down and away.  Not sure if the older models have the option but my new 926LE can lock or unlock either wheel with the pin.  Simply freeing the other wheel might be the easiest solution, although mine seems to manuever ok w/ both locked when its on the snow.  Just some simple ideas/tweaks :)

paul78zephyr

Reply #10   Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm
Hello Mike,
I read your post and I can empethize with your problem somewhat as my Brand new Toro alss suffered a recent failure - although not nearly as catastrofic as yours (see my new post on this forum). Anyway I live in MA too. Boxborough, just west of Acton and Concord. My concern from your post is that my Toro has the same 11HP Tecumseh Snow King engine that your Ariens does. I agree with he fellow that said that you should NOT get a machine such as this at HD. For that much dough you should buy from a reputable outdoor power equipment company - where the people know what they are doing and mechandise is not 'recycled' - that DEFINATELY happens at places like HD.

I would get Ariens and Tecumseh involved in your issue as well. They both have toll free numbers. Explain what happened and see what they say.

Paul
MikeSnow

Reply #11   Jan 26, 2006 3:28 pm
I went snow blower shopping today and was amazed at the price difference between 926LE at Home Depot for $799 and the 926DLE at my local dealer for $1,599.  I guess I will be buying an 926LE at home Depot, because an $800 difference I can not justify between the two machines.  I understand the differences in the machines from this forum and the brochure, but at that price, I could buy two, and have one standing by for when the first one breaks, for less than the cost of the pro model..

I checked out the 7524E, but am afraid it would not have the weight or power to cut through the heavy stuff at the end of my driveway left by the plow.  Nothing worse than buying a blower and then discovering she is just not capable of doing what you want her to do.  I learned that lesson on my 11hp craftsman, which is why I sold her.

I think I need the threat of a major snow storm to kick my butt into gear and buy one. 

Thanks for all of your valuable advice guys!

jubol

Reply #12   Jan 26, 2006 3:32 pm
Mikesnow,

If you wait for a big snow, all the blowers will be sold!!

Buy now, with no snow !!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
EGreen

Reply #13   Jan 26, 2006 3:57 pm
mike have you considered buying an 1128LE at a dealer?  Most dealers also sell the 926LE too not just the pro.  I'm sure the dealer would set up an 1128LE find and doubt u would have an oil problem.

EGreen

Reply #14   Jan 26, 2006 3:57 pm
I mean engine problem :P

MikeSnow

Reply #15   Jan 26, 2006 4:34 pm
I visited 3 local dealers, and none of them had a 11528LE or were willing to order them.  They kept telling me it was the end of the season and I should have started looking at snowblowers back in August/September, thanks for the advice guys, maybe I should start shopping for air conditioners now.  All 3 had the 926DLE Pro at $1,599, and the other machines in the pro line.  I think I am going to roll the dice and buy a 926LE at a different Home Depot this weekend, re-setup the machine myself, double check the oil, and see how she runs.  I will never touch a reconditioned machine after that last machine.
jubol

Reply #16   Jan 26, 2006 4:46 pm
MikeSnow,

If you buy from HD, buy it in the box.

Save the assembly fee, and you do it all, as you will learn a lot about your machine!!

IMHO

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #17   Jan 26, 2006 4:51 pm
MikeSnow wrote:
  I will never touch a reconditioned machine after that last machine.

Amen to that Brother! That HD reconditioned machine may have been seized before and then freed up by pulling the starter after it was cool. Engines don';t necessarily blow the first time they seize!!

From what you wrote you seem comfortable in setting up a machine by yourself. Suggest you go to any HD that has the machines on sale and buy one in the box!! One that has not as yet been molested by the helpful HD expert. Also check the oil even though the ones I've seen at HD have been shipped with oil in them. 

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #18   Jan 26, 2006 5:53 pm
MikeSnow wrote:
I went snow blower shopping today and was amazed at the price difference between 926LE at Home Depot for $799 and the 926DLE at my local dealer for $1,599.  I guess I will be buying an 926LE at home Depot, because an $800 difference I can not justify between the two machines.  I understand the differences in the machines from this forum and the brochure, but at that price, I could buy two, and have one standing by for when the first one breaks, for less than the cost of the pro model..

I checked out the 7524E, but am afraid it would not have the weight or power to cut through the heavy stuff at the end of my driveway left by the plow.  Nothing worse than buying a blower and then discovering she is just not capable of doing what you want her to do.  I learned that lesson on my 11hp craftsman, which is why I sold her.

I think I need the threat of a major snow storm to kick my butt into gear and buy one. 

Thanks for all of your valuable advice guys!

Mike,

Buy both till you decide which one to hold on to. HD will always be glad to take the return. "WHEN THEY ARE GONE  THATS IT"

The price is too good to let them slide by.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42