Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens 824 low gear problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jhart

ariens 824 low gear problem
Original Message   Jan 24, 2006 1:05 pm
Hi,

I have a '79 vintage 824 that runs well, but the first gear seems to have disappeared.  The others all work fine and it shifts very smoothly.  Any ideas?  And does it even matter?

I bought this machine used for $200 and I'm considering putting a new engine on it.  A local repair shop says it would be a waste because parts won't be available a bit down the road... Ariens is ripe for a take over, they claim.

We just had a foot of wet snow and it munched right through without any problems.  I've ordered new belts for Spring maintenance.
Replies: 4 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jhart

Re: ariens 824 low gear problem
Reply #4   Jan 24, 2006 10:52 pm
Garandman

What is the model number of the Briggs OHV??  Does it line up without any mods??
EGreen

Reply #5   Jan 25, 2006 1:30 am
jhart wrote:
Hi,

I have a '79 vintage 824 that runs well, but the first gear seems to have disappeared.  The others all work fine and it shifts very smoothly.  Any ideas?  And does it even matter?

I bought this machine used for $200 and I'm considering putting a new engine on it.  A local repair shop says it would be a waste because parts won't be available a bit down the road... Ariens is ripe for a take over, they claim.

We just had a foot of wet snow and it munched right through without any problems.  I've ordered new belts for Spring maintenance.

if the engine runs good keep it and just make sure the oil level is good and make sure to change it every season.  You can get plenty of life out of an old engine no problem, just take care of it.  When it does finally go thats when you have to decide "do I want to keep it and replace the engine or get a whole new machine?"  :)

Garandman

Reply #6   Jan 27, 2006 8:18 am
jhart wrote:
Garandman

What is the model number of the Briggs OHV??  Does it line up without any mods??

The one I replaced is on a 1970 5-7hp Ariens. The ST824 is different.

Small engine warehouse has a 11hp Intek Snow for $369 and free shipping, and notes:

Includes 3 Amp alternator to runs snowblower lights
Bottom mounting hole pattern is 7.68" x 3.38"
Shaft height is 4.17"
Mounting holes will have to be redrilled if you are replacing a Tecumseh engine
Replies: 4 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42