Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Worlds Dumbest Question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rfh1234

Worlds Dumbest Question
Original Message   Jan 19, 2006 10:57 am
Hi,

I feel like an idiot asking, but....  I rebuilt the carb on an Ariens 10.5hp snowthrower. I put it back together and the stalling problem is gone. Starts on the 1st or at worst 2nd pull now and stays running till shut off. Stupid question.... On the fuel bowl at bottom of carb, there is a bolt with the holes in it. Regarding the gasket that fits over the bolt. Does it go on the inside of the bowl or outside, or, in other words, do I put the gasket on the bolt then put bolt through fuel bowl and tighten or do I put bolt through fuel bowl then put gasket on and tighten, or does it matter? I'm guessing it does. I feel like worlds biggest idiot for not having paid more attention to that detail but.... Better to feel like an idiot an ask then to do it wrong.

I did the rest of the job so carefully, making note of where the rods go, drawing diagrams etc. I just didn't think much of that gasket at that time. Also, I was thinking of getting chains for the tires, now that it is running perfect, and was wondering where the best place to get them would be or what kind I should get etc.

Thanks for your help.  Ron, Boston area, 39

PS. Now that I've got it running perfectly, it hasn't snowed more than a dusting 1 single time in over a month !!! I get a FREE snow-thrower, Ariens, powerful, that only needed a carb cleaning/rebuild and I can't use it due to lack of snow, which normally is NOT a problem in the Northeast !!! Arrgh ! 

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
buttlint

Re: Worlds Dumbest Question
Reply #1   Jan 19, 2006 11:11 am
It goes on the outside of the bowl.
Garandman

Re: Worlds Dumbest Question
Reply #2   Jan 20, 2006 10:58 am
One other gotcha. There is a "high" and "low" side of the bowl, and it is aligned so the low part is opposite the hinged side of the float, if that makes sense. Or IOW the low side goes where the float hangs lowest.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42