Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking at buying a snowblower- Need some advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bwcafishing

Looking at buying a snowblower- Need some advice
Original Message   Jan 17, 2006 10:56 am
I have a 1970's John Deere 732 that I bought it used as my first snowblower and it really doesn't throw snow very well.  Thanks to this forum I have purchased the impeller kit from Clarence small engine and waiting to receive it and put it on.    However, in the mean time, I saw this Honda HS828S for sale for $350.    According to the ad, it is in VERY GOOD condition but has not been started in 3 years and the gas will need to be drained  and replace before starting.    Couple of questions for you experts:

1.  What year do you think this is?

2.  Is this a good unit and a good deal?

3.  Would you recommend bringing gas with me and try to start it before I buy it?

Replies: 3 - 12 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Looking at buying a snowblower- Need some advice
Reply #3   Jan 17, 2006 3:08 pm
BWC,

It will most likly need a carb and fuel tank,cleaning if you can not start it.

Maybe a new fuel filter, if it has one on it  it !!

As Solara said, oil change also.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
jubol

Reply #4   Jan 17, 2006 3:19 pm
jubol wrote:
BWC,

It will most likly need a carb and fuel tank,cleaning if you can not start it.

Maybe a new fuel filter, if it has one on it  !!

As Solara said, oil change also.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Majorxlr8n

Reply #5   Jan 17, 2006 4:56 pm
BW - chances are a carb & tank cleaning along with an oil change should resurrect this to running condition. Get the serial number off of it & goto www.planopower.com to the snowblower section. They break down the machines by year based on the serial number. With the engine currently "dead", there is no way to check auger operation or the self propelled feature. At the very least, remove the shear bolts & make sure the auger rakes spin freely. If they don't, walk away from this deal. And keep in mind that Honda parts are EXPENSIVE...

Marty

solara

Reply #6   Jan 17, 2006 5:35 pm

FROM THE PLANO SITE:

Model and Serial Numbers

While at first, the model numbers for the different snowblower models may look like gibberish, they actually do mean something. Let's take a look at a typical model number. 

HS521K1 AS

In this model number, "HS" simply stands for Honda Snowblower". The first number, 5, represents the horsepower (4.5 in this case), which is usually rounded to the nearest whole number. The next two numbers give the clearing width for this model, 21". Models made before 1987 will not have the clearing width as part of the model number. The "K1" indicates the version of that model. Honda may make small changes in a model from time to time. The new version will have approximately the same specifications as the previous one, so it's not given a new model number. Instead, Honda gives it a new K number. The HS521 is replaced by the HS521K1, and so on. Some of the changes are obvious, but some are not. The most reliable way to tell which K number your machine has is by using the frame serial number, usually located on the rear of the chassis near where the handles are connected. Where needed, we list the serial number ranges for the different versions below. 

The letters after the model number tell about some of the features of the model. "A" simply means that the machine was made for the American market. The "S" indicates electric start. On self-propelled models, there will be either a "T", indicating track drive, or a "W", indicating wheel drive.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Moderator Denis

Reply #7   Jan 18, 2006 1:04 am
I think all of you forgot to think about the gearing system could fail too?

like belt slipping, worn gear teeth, loose parts.

Whatever..

Den

Majorxlr8n

Reply #8   Jan 18, 2006 7:25 am
Denis wrote:
I think all of you forgot to think about the gearing system could fail too?

like belt slipping, worn gear teeth, loose parts.

Whatever..

Denis

Denis - if you read my post above MORE CAREFULLY, you will see that "all of us" DID NOT forget this....

Marty

gary31570

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

Reply #9   Jan 18, 2006 9:59 am
Catfisher,

Who took this picuture? Maybe it is three years old, too so you have not idea what it looks like.
Based on everything I have read here, I would consider a new new machine, which will last ten years,
with an annual cost of less than $100/year.

For me, it would be a waste of time to check out a snowblower that is neither running, nor has run for three years.
Taking it to the shop could easily cost you $200.

With the mild winter we are having in Cleveland, (not knowing where you live), by the end of the month
your dealers should have some reduced prices on their inventory.

Gary

Cleveland,, OH
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #10   Jan 18, 2006 6:35 pm
GARY,

Look at the date on the pic

solara

Reply #11   Jan 20, 2006 12:33 pm
so bw what did u do?  there is a guy on a nother forum that just bought one of these for 1K and he appears to be quite pleased.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
70chevrolet

Reply #12   Jan 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Yeah, did you buy it? If not, let me know where it is so I can buy it?
Replies: 3 - 12 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42