Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens, Model 10965, Belt Replacement

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
OldEqupt

Ariens, Model 10965, Belt Replacement
Original Message   Jan 15, 2006 10:51 am
Good Day,

Need help replacing belt.  Old machine.  Ariens Sno-Throw, Model 10965.  Maybe 1970.  I removed belt housing cover.  But seems I must separate auger assy. from motor assy.?  Even with mtr. / auger disengaged the gap is too small to slip belt through.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Old Equpt.

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Re: Ariens, Model 10965, Belt Replacement
Reply #1   Jan 15, 2006 1:04 pm
I thought I could replace the belt on my 1974 8Hp Ariens without separating the halves.  Some people say they can replace without separating.  

I found that I spent more time trying to get the new belt on (the original broke, so it was easy to remove) than it would have taken if I had separated the halves.  I couldn't get the new one on without separating the halves.  It takes about 10 minutes to separate.

It helps to have two people when separating, as the tractor section is kind of heavy- I just supported the handles on a couple of milk crates (others have used pickup truck tailgates) while working. 

Good Luck

Ralph

newtonian

Reply #2   Jan 15, 2006 11:11 pm
One novice to another - there are two bolts near the bottom edge of the belt housing you removed.  Support the handlebars on something and remove the two bolts.  You can now drop the handlebars and the machine will look like it's split in half.  You can now replace the belt.  Resupport the handlebars and replace the bolts.  Put the belt cover on and you're done.  It's easy once you've done it.

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Garandman

Reply #3   Jan 16, 2006 2:00 pm
This should be the same tractor unit. The highlighted circle is one of the bolt holes mentioned above. Remove the bolt on each side and the unti will "book" open.

In fact, the blower assembly is just sitting on a rod and can be lifted off the tractor into two pieces if you wanted to save storage room; do other work; or change the attachment (what it was designed for). It's the bar at the top of this picture (the tractor unit upside down).

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42