Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mrmom

Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?
Original Message   Feb 2, 2005 1:27 pm
Ok folks, anyone have any comments, advice, suggestions or opinions between the two?

This spring I plan to landscape the front yard and am looking to put in flower beds, a small hedge along the front walkway and a few plants here and there. Aside from the usual topsoil and mulch, I would also like to till the areas where the new plants are going in not just to break the soil but to mix in some topsoil as well. Rather than pay some guy oodles of money, I figured I'd do it myself. So far, I have narrowed the search for a tiller down to two: a Mantis tiller with the Honda engine or the Honda FG100. I don't want a big regular tiller as we have no space for it and figured a small one could be used in case I get into that 'let's plant veggies' mood.

I would like to hear from folks who have used or seen these machines in action. Their prices are not that far apart and based on their website, the tines seem to be different and supposedly make a difference.

Thanks.

Replies: 14 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
susancarol

Re: Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?
Reply #14   Jan 14, 2006 10:28 pm
Consumer Reports claims Honda FG110 is the best choice. From scores of poor, fair, good, very good  and excellent, it was excellent. This includes tilling, sod busting, weeding and starting. Price is $325.00, from their source. Mantis rated good, but tilling, sod busting, weeding and starting was only a good rating, @ $300.00. I copied this paragraph from the CR web site:  "Four-stroke engine. These typically start with fewer pulls and deliver more power at lower speeds. They also produce fewer emissions than two-strokes and require no fuel-mixing. Found on the four top-scoring gas models." Honda is four stroke, Mantis is two. I think the convenience of not mixing oil and gas is well worth thinking about getting a Honda.

Susan

racingpast

A parts replacer is not a mechanic!

A good mechanic is a good find indeed!

Purchase from those who service what they sell & actually know what they are doing.

Re: Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?
Reply #15   Jan 18, 2006 11:56 am
Just for everyone's information...

Honda's FG100A tiller has been updated to a new model, the FG110.

Most noteworthy among several improvements is the transmission. The new machine has a much larger & robust pinion and worm gear in the transmission. It also has a front bumper, a thoughtful touch, that can also be used as a lifting/carrying handle.

Another improvement involves the tines. The FG110 has 6 blades on each tine, as opposed to the 4 blade design of the FG100A. This improvement results in 50% more "bites" per revolution of the tine.   

Replies: 14 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42