Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mrmom

Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?
Original Message   Feb 2, 2005 1:27 pm
Ok folks, anyone have any comments, advice, suggestions or opinions between the two?

This spring I plan to landscape the front yard and am looking to put in flower beds, a small hedge along the front walkway and a few plants here and there. Aside from the usual topsoil and mulch, I would also like to till the areas where the new plants are going in not just to break the soil but to mix in some topsoil as well. Rather than pay some guy oodles of money, I figured I'd do it myself. So far, I have narrowed the search for a tiller down to two: a Mantis tiller with the Honda engine or the Honda FG100. I don't want a big regular tiller as we have no space for it and figured a small one could be used in case I get into that 'let's plant veggies' mood.

I would like to hear from folks who have used or seen these machines in action. Their prices are not that far apart and based on their website, the tines seem to be different and supposedly make a difference.

Thanks.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
nibbler

Re: Mantis tiller or Honda FG100?
Reply #4   Feb 2, 2005 8:11 pm
I bought a used Mantis from Home Depot at one of their rental sales so you know it got kicked around before I got it. Its been running fine for two years now. I use it to till the back garden and just last summer to till grass into a compost area I started. Works great. Stuff like roots do wrap around the tines. Being able to easily pull the tines off can be a great help. I wear ear protection, gloves and long pants beacause its a powerful little beast and it can kick up the dirt.
mrmom

Reply #5   Feb 3, 2005 10:09 am
Wow! Great responses so far. All very informative. So far at this point it seem to be  a toss up but I am leaning more towards the Honda due to local dealer support. Best though would be to take both for a spin. The amount of vibration will definitely be an issue as I do not want to end up with carpal tunnel problems down the road. We'll see....
lland

Reply #6   Feb 3, 2005 4:41 pm
Well, as luck would have it, I get home today and in the mail is the new issue of Consumer Reports and on page 45 is an article "Mini Tillers - More Power, Less Effort."

Now, a lot of people here (and other places) will argue that Consumer Reports isn't worth the paper it's printed on but I beg to differ.  I find the publication to be very objective, reasonably fair, and as for reliability ratings, statistically accurate.  Most nay sayers are usually people who feel insulted when something they own doesn't get the highest rating and badmouth CR.

To get to the point, the Honda FG100 is the highest rated machine by far.  It perormed best in Tilling, Sod Busting, Weeding, Starting, and tied with  a few others in Ease of Use.  The Mantis, my hero, was in the middle of the pack.  I still stand by my review but I'll have to say, if I were to buy today, I'd take a good long look at the Honda (or the Honda powered Mantis which was not the one they tested).

They also pointed out one thing about the electric tillers I never considered and that's you could easily drag the cord over small, delicate plants, causing unnecessary damage.

So there you have it...an unbiased opinion...

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
mrmom

Reply #7   Feb 3, 2005 6:23 pm
Thanks for the heads-up on the Consumer Reports article. I'll have to give my cousin a call to borrow his issue. In the meantime I came across this today:

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID5004?mid=2004092343518&mime=asc

Sweet!! Looks like Honda just bumped things up a notch. BAM!!!!!

lland

Reply #8   Feb 3, 2005 8:00 pm
The Consumer Reports article had FG110 noted in perenthesis.  I didn't know what they were referring to.  Now I do, thanks.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #9   Feb 4, 2005 8:26 pm
I just saw this on E-bay a little while ago, if anyones interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4355119962&ssPageName=ADME:B:WN:US:202

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
mrmom

Reply #10   Feb 4, 2005 10:00 pm
Thanks Vangellis but am looking for a four cycle one as all our other OPE are such. Saw several FG100s on Ebay but am leaning now towards the FG110 after reading about it. It may be pricey but you only cry once.
uc113

Reply #11   Feb 8, 2005 12:04 am
I have owned a Mantis for quite a few years now.  I have never had a problem with it and can recommend it very highly.  IT does a great job, easy to use, and is by far the best money I have ever spent on a piece of equipment.  To give you an idea, I spent $199 when I purchase dit from a local dealer .  You couldn't even think of buying one at that price today.  I don't think you could go wrong or be unhappy with this little workhorse.
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #12   Feb 8, 2005 5:54 am
Okay I'm starting to think I'm a broken record.

We also sell the Mantis tillers.  They are an awesome piece of OPE for the size of them.  With the new easy start system - a 4 year old child could start it - not that you'd want them to.  We have seen them at varies stages through their life and the life time warranty on the tines does come in handy when the people life on a rock!

Well gotta get ready for work.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #13   Feb 8, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi MM

I've had the MS-55 Yard-boss from Stihl for three years now and my wife and I love it. Not pushing the Stihl just commenting on how versital these little workhorses are. We hardly ever use the old fasioned hoe anymore. I would recommend getting both the spike and the bolo tines if avalible for the machine that you prefer. The bolo tines work great in the garden once it has been tilled up.

Tom

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
Replies: 4 - 13 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42